Going to San Diego

DASman

What's the matter with the traps? The aircraft carrier, I forget the name, is worth a tour.

It's the USS Midway and one could argue it's a tourist trap too. My definition of a tourist trap though, is something really not worth seeing. I think the major draws in San Diego really are worth seeing. Take the Zoo and Sea World for instance. It really is a world class zoo, and Sea World is a great Marine Park so if your into those things they really are a great day.

If you like animals the Wild Animal Park in Escondido (run by the Zoo), is also excellent and allows you to see animals in a more natural setting. Old Town San Diego is very nice. There's also lots of things to do in Balboa park near the zoo. http://www.balboapark.org/

You can take a bus tour to Encinada in Baja for a day if you have your passport and there's lots of nice beaches in the San Diego area of course. Legoland is good only if you have children 10 and under.

Sequoia got it pretty much right on. I've lived here in SD since 1970. Here's some more sights:

Point Loma Lighthouse and Park - $5 parking fee - breathtaking views of all of SD down to the border, Coronado and the harbor.

La Jolla - go see the cove, beaches, enjoy the seabreezes and birds

Coronado - Check out the Hotel del Coronado for a treat - see how the rich enjoyed their vacations in the 1890's.

La Jolla cross - a small park overlooking La Jolla has fantastic 360 degree views of everything you cannot see from the Pt. Loma overlook.

Harbor Island/Shelter Island - actually built up from fill when they dredged out SD harbor, these artificial isthmuses have great view points to enjoy the harbor view. Sit or stroll for a while, bring a picnic lunch, its a million dollar view for sure from either location.

Embarcadero - a bit North of the Midway carrier museum, this area has a lot of historic ships to see and very enjoyable restaurants (Anthony's is our favorite) with fabulous views of the harbor.

This is just a few of the places we take our friends when they first visit SD- and we go to all of them over and over without getting bored.

One sunny San Diego day some years ago I saw a flash of blonde hair blowing back from the targa top of a red Porsche on the freeway. I gunned it a bit to get a look see and sure enough, there was this Hollywood-quality blonde driving that hot car. What blew me away was the license plate on the Porsche, which read "HEODME". Nice divorce settlement!