Question about Panzer IV model (see pic)

This is a picture of from the Atlanta Model Expo June 2009 (the person hosting the pic attending the event and did not make the model/diorama)

The model appears to be a Panzer IV tank (Bulgarian according to the stand) but has a gun that looks like the main armament on a Russian SU-76. Was this a "one off" vehicle (field conversion)? limited production/conversion? something created by the model builder?

Tank2.jpg

About halfway in the following thread.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272293&page=2

It existed, though the question remains: when?

Such a crude botch job seems more wartime emergency measure then something you'd cook up after the war with so much Sovjet material available.

Then again, the markings are rather curious. I thought they used the Balkenkreuz?

Such a crude botch job seems more wartime emergency measure then something you'd cook up after the war with so much Sovjet material available.

Then again, the markings are rather curious. I thought they used the Balkenkreuz?

I still think an important clue (if it is a valid representation) is the style of headwear for the crew. When did they start using Soviet personal gear?

Michael

When did they start using Soviet personal gear?

According to Wiki, Bulgaria started batting for the other team in Sept '44. Figure a couple of months to sort themselfves out ... maybe Dec-Feb they started showing up equipped with Sov kit? But, in that case I'd expect a wintry setting.

Also, when is pumpkin harvest ;)

I suspect (based on exactly no evidence :rolleyes: ) that the PzIV would have been a rare - perhaps even unique - conversion.

My other thought is "why?" Why bother going to the presumably not-inconsiderable effort to install the ZIS gun over the original 75mm long? I'd have thought that in terms of performance, the two guns would be at least comparable. About the only advantage I can think of would be logistic - no replacement 75mm longs available after Bulgaria swapped sides, and especially dwindling stocks of ammn.

The logistic consideration makes me think that this dio is perhaps set post-war, with the PzIV/ZIS combo being an interim veh with which to equip the nascent Bulgarian Peoples Armoured Unit(s), or sumfink.

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=7767

excellent find! :)

I see that this tank appears to be a partially opentopped vehicle.

I imagine it would have been an early version with the short 75 & they didnt' have any spare German 75's to put in it?

Bulgaria didn't get any German hulls until mid-late 1944. While it's possible they were handed clapped out B and C models, I think it's extremely unlikely.

Edit: Correction - the Bulgars got some German tanks in 1943. The 46 x Pz IV they received were langs.

aff yyou got it wtrong - sitting there fore 30 years and then NOT getting steamrolled.....by the turkish army.......who the f*** would want to sit in a tank hull for 30 years?!! :o

Good point. But then I guess there would be worse ways to spend your national service in the Bulgarian army that sitting idly in a field, at least in summer. (Providing the Warthogs didn't show up.)

Bulgaria didn't get any German hulls until mid-late 1944. While it's possible they were handed clapped out B and C models, I think it's extremely unlikely.

I'm sure the4 ones actually sold to them were just fine, but I'd guess the Heer left behind bits of junk like every retreating army in history has, and/or they had some captured examples transfered from Soviet service.

Here's some more pictures including a couple of this variant - 1 is as already noted in this thread, but there's another in a field that seems to be a different locatino, and the 1 by het 2 Stugs is open topped so apepars to be a 3rd vehicle?