mission scripting / AI questions...

I'll likely have a several questions over the next few days as I'm looking to get more into the creating of missions / sceanrios.

My first one...

When placing an enemy unit (be it a group of infantry) when placing them on the map and giving them their first "set up" order (highlighting a general zone, for example). If I do nothing else other than the set-up order..... What will this AI infantry unit do? Will it seek cover? Will it stay only in the spot it was placed on the map?

Will it stay only in the spot it was placed on the map?

Yes.

Furthermore, unless your AI-editor setup-zone (AISUZ) overlaps a map-editor setup zone (MESUZ) (and the unit is within the overlap) the unit will remain *exactly* where you placed it.

What is the best way to make a "roaming patrol" (more or less). For a given enemy unit? Do you simply have to place different destination points with each new order...... But to a degree, that kind of takes away from the randomness of where a given enemy unit might be......(I guess only to an extent)...

Setup zones - That's a trick question.

Lets say you place your units on the map. You then paint an AI initial setup area for their Group. If the initial setup area covers where the inits are on the map they'll stay in place (mostly). If the painted Group setup area is another area of the map they'll jump to that other area. If the initial setp area has no painted zone the placed units will stay locked where you dropped 'em. And there's other complicating factors too - whether the units are in the map's (as opposed to the AI's) initial setup zone. Whether the map's and AI's initial setup zones overlap eachother.

After thoroughly confusing you - I tend to NOT paint initial Group setup zones, myself. I most often want my men locked in place at startup.

On the topic of the Roaming Patrol, if I want some wiggle-room where the units are headed I often paint two or more equal-size desitination zones on the map. I don't have a clue how the AI picks which destination to walk to. if your group has multiple units they might even go to separate destinations!

What is the best way to make a "roaming patrol" (more or less). For a given enemy unit? Do you simply have to place different destination points with each new order...... But to a degree, that kind of takes away from the randomness of where a given enemy unit might be......(I guess only to an extent)...

What Mikey said, and you can also use multiple order groups.

• 1 year later...