CMSF for Mac?

Sorry to bring up an old subject again. I can hear the yawns now...

Now that CMSF British Forces is practically out of the way, will the order of work priority now for BFC be Normandy and then the Mac version or vice versa?

I also notice Apple is rolling out the upgraded OS, Snow Leopold, in September. Would the Mac version if/when it comes out be back compatible with older versions of the OS?

Any congratulations on the latest release.

Thanks for your patience

Danny

"We intend to release CMx2 for the Macintosh as soon as we are able to."

-Steve 2008

There is also a very old thread here (2007-2008) that may have some info...

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=75854

What about the bootcamp(?) for Macs to run Windows version of CMSF? is it any good?

Good luck (i'm also interested in a Mac version of CM Normandy)!

:)

Ya, BFC has stated for a long time that CMx2 will come out in a native OSX version... eventually. I've long since given up trying to predict whether this means this year, next year, or next decade.

Macs in Bootcamp work pretty much just like any other Windows PC; CMSF runs just fine on my '07 IMac in Bootcamp running Win XP. I do experience some minor graphical issues (flickering shadows, for one). But my understanding is that these are related to the ATI graphics card, and a dedicated Windows box with the same card would have the same issues. Macs that do not use ATI cards apparently do not have these issues. In any event, these issues are at worst minor distractions for me.

I don't know for sure, but assuming CMx2 is eventually released native for OSX Snow Leopard, my guess is that it will still run fine, albeit perhaps a bit slower, under OSX Leopard. AIUI, most of changes are focused upon improving the speed, efficiency and security of the OS and backward compatibility is not likely to be a major issue.

However, supposedly one of the major improvements going into Snow Leopard is better usage of multi-core processors and graphics processors, which should dramatically improve performance of processor-intensive programs like CMx2. So if you have a multi-core processor (which you probably do if your Mac is powerful enough to run CMx2), and considering the upgrade to Snow Leopard will only be $29 for folks who already have Leopard, it's pretty much a no-brainer to upgrade to Snow Leopard when it comes out anyway.

I doubt that CMx2 will be compatible with OSX Tiger or earlier Mac OSes. But there are probably not very many Mac systems out there still running Tiger, that are also powerful enough to run CMx2.

Whatever the case, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a Mac version, someday...

YD

Well it looks like I'll have to continue waiting then...

I'm running Parallels with Microsoft Vista on my Macbook. CMBO is able to run on it but there is severe screen flickering. Not much luck with the others. The CMBB demo crashes on it. The CMSF demo couldn't run either.

Thanks

Danny

You definitely can't run a graphics-intensive game like CMSF in Parallels; you need Bootcamp for this.

I'm really not sure a plain MacBook is powerful enough to run CMSF anyway. Maybe the very newest ones that have an NVidia 9400M graphics processor can handle it, but I'm skeptical even the '08 Macbooks have enough graphics processing power for 3D-intensive games like CMSF. I could be wrong about this, though.

I am following the MAC Version Issue for CMSF for some time. Since my PC died one and a half year ago I am sticking with may MacBook Pro only.

And everytime someone asks about a OSX native version the answer is: Hey use Boot Camp.

But I don´t want to use Boot Camp mainly because I don´t want to buy a second OS just to play a game and I don´t want a second OS taking up hard-disk space.

So a native OSX Version would really be fine....

Thanks for that, Daft. I'm happy to hear that CMSF runs fine on the 9400M Macbooks; I'm thinking about picking up a Macbook as a second computer for my wife and when we're traveling. I had assumed that it wouldn't be able to run CMSF very well, if at all, but if it can, so much the better!

As for the Bootcamp thing, yeah. It sucks. I play CM alot less than I used to because booting over into Windows takes a while so those quick 20 minute sessions I could grab before leaving in the work in the morning and stuff just don't make sense anymore.

I really hope the OSX native version is going to be sooner, rather than later...

I'm running Tiger on a four year old G5 Quad, so I am probably SOL for anything that BFC is realistically likely to bring out. Since the Quad works just fine for everything else I require of it, I am unlikely to pick up a new machine just to run CM, although further developments could lead me to reconsider that last part.

I don't presume any of that is helpful to the OP, just thought I'd take the opportunity to cry in my beer a little.

Michael

Well it might be quicker to search for posts from my userid but I can confirm that CM:SF, CM:USMC, and newer stuff (:)) runs on my MacBook Pro via Windows XP and Boot Camp.

I understand that work on the native OS X version will commence soon (or at least that was the last I heard from Steve in another place). :)

Once I’m allowed to say more I will.

My Macbook Pro (08) runs CMSF fine in bootcamp at some ungodly resolution (1900xwhatever), it has the 512MB Nvidia 8600GTM or whatever? Im not near my mac to check at the moment.

Problem is though the drivers arn't the most up to date. Would probably run better in native OSX.