Mac Video Card Crisis/Recommendation

I throw myself at the feet of the Forum community and BFC and beg for help.

I have a new Mac G4 with the ATI 9000 video card that will not play CMBB (you get the horrible prism refraction effect on all the map squares, etc.).

Is there a video card out there that will work with a PowerMac G4, 4x AGP slot and that will play Combat Mission? I can find info on cards for sale that claim to be compatible with Macs, but with no reassurance that they will actually play Combat Mission. I don't want to sink the money into another video card only to find that it will not play CM either.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Seanachai,

Does your new G4 boot in OS 9, as well as OS X? If not, then I'm afraid your problem is much worse than a mere video card.

Regards,

John Kettler

Yes, it boots into OS 9.

I can start up CMBB, it even seems to play correctly in OS 9, but it is beyond merely horrible to look at.

The system can play CMBB, but the card cannot display it correctly.

Hey Stevie..at last..i have u cornered ;)

We will have to run a check on your Irish heritage to see if u qualify for Help ;P

BTW..what type of display are u using with the G4 Stevie?

As Andreas has said..best option is to pick up a OEM ATI Radeon with 32 MB of VRAM.

It is the best card for MACs and CM. All visuals are clear and sharp.

Option #2 is to get a ATI Mac edition Radeon 8500 with 64MB of VRAM. This is good..clear and shapr visuals..faster and smoother than the 32MB version. The only "drawbacks" are that there is no transparency enabled for smoke/dust...and you would need a DVI 2 AC conncetor/adopter to run a Apple LCD if u have one.

Dont panic yet :D as help may be closer at hand than you know.

best

Måkjgaer

I have run two different GeForce cards in my two year old G4 okay. The first was a 2MX with 32 MB VRAM and the second a Ti 4 with 128 MB. The image they produce is not quite as hi-rez as with the Radeons due to downsampling. But smoke and fog look okay. No problems with text, etc.

The kicker is that I still have the 2MX sitting around doing nothing and could let you have for a nominal consideration...say, a lifetime of humilating servitude.

:D

Michael

Originally posted by Måkjager:

Hey Stevie..at last..i have u cornered ;)

We will have to run a check on your Irish heritage to see if u qualify for Help ;P

BTW..what type of display are u using with the G4 Stevie?

As Andreas has said..best option is to pick up a OEM ATI Radeon with 32 MB of VRAM.

It is the best card for MACs and CM. All visuals are clear and sharp.

Option #2 is to get a ATI Mac edition Radeon 8500 with 64MB of VRAM. This is good..clear and shapr visuals..faster and smoother than the 32MB version. The only "drawbacks" are that there is no transparency enabled for smoke/dust...and you would need a DVI 2 AC conncetor/adopter to run a Apple LCD if u have one.

Dont panic yet :D as help may be closer at hand than you know.

best

Måkjgaer

You daft Irisher.

I'm using a Sony Multiscan 200ES (CRT-VGA) monitor (my old one, which I cannot afford to replace right now, and which otherwise works fine).

I'm using the Apple supplied DVI to VGA adapter to connect to the monitor. I haven't yet encountered any problems with other games, but then, I haven't had much time to try most of them between trying to sort out my CM problem, and get MSN to explain what kind of strange rituals I will have to perform to get my MSN email account to work with the OS X Mail Client, or, at the very least, explain why my OS 9 Outlook Express can receive my email, but not send it. Oh, and forget trying to use Outlook Express while OS X capable Internet Explorer is in use.

My concern about buying an earlier version ATI card is that it may work with my Single Processor, 1.25 ghtz Mirror Drive Doors G4, but still not be CM capable given the platform architecture. Or that it might work with CM on earlier G4s, but not work with this only very recently orphaned hardware (the new G5s are just now rolling out).

I know it's not really their problem, but do the lads at BFC have any clue? Take pity on a short, annoying, twisted gnome, and dispense what wisdom you can!

Please, please help me!

It's only a matter of time before MrSpkr and the other lunatics of the Peng Challenge Thread escalate the Sorrow and the Pity...

I'll see Michael's MX2 and raise it to a GeForce 3 with 64MB of RAM :D

BTW Andreas..i have moved on from my Radeon to the Radeon 8500...got it for £120 from www.jigsaw24.com.

Very happy with it apart from the lack of transparent smoke/dust :( ..but i can live with that..seeing as i will be taking delivery of a Apple 23" HD Cinema display in a few days :D

Regards

Måkjager

Monitor envy. :D

My geforce 4MX runs quite nicely, even with only 32mb of vram. I am sure they are available on ebay or similar.

You could look into a PCI card to live in a separate slot and use a switch to choose which output you are driving your monitor with. I do believe there is a Radeon that would fill your fancy.

This way if there are other things the stock card can do better you have the choice.

Good luck

[ August 30, 2003, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: kmead ]