Everyone is moving out to my AI plan

Hey,

I was making an AI plan with BMP reinforcements arriving after 20 minutes. They are designated as "F2" as the default is F1.

After they arrive however, they don't follow the plan to move to the crossroads. However everyone else on the map is moving to their "setup" and proceeding to the crossroads.

While this makes artillery quite fun, it is not what I want to happen.

The BMPs are the only ones designated as AI unit 2.

So it seems like everyone is following this AI except the reinforcements.

Thanks for any help,

Falconander

Well I scrapped that mission and have since started to build missions practicing with multiple AI movements and all has worked well so far.

The only thing I have not tried is AI arty and reinforcements with moves.

I'll try these later tonight.

I think the problems I was having earlier stemmed from reinforcement so I'll see if I can duplicate the problems.

Keep plugging away with it - the AI for me is the hardest part of the editor. The best advice I can give is to make notes as you go along and maybe take screenshots in the editor of your painted AI zones and orders so you can track your progress better. If you don't make notes the whole thing becomes a major headache.

I think you'll find the reason the BMPs in Group 2 didn't follow their plan is because they 'missed' the order. It became active before they arrived on the board. What does that mean?

The BMP group arrives at T+20 right? That means that they will actually arrive on the map sometime around T+20:25 secs and so they should be given an order with an Exit After 00:20:30. The order becomes active after they have arrived and therefore they'll follow it. Try it and report back.

Thanks Paper Tiger,

I'll try that over the weekend. I have been building scenarios now (about 5-6) but all of these are head to head (lan). I'll take some of these and try this out.

Sometimes to check myself i make a map with a high ground in the middle with an FO or something non combative. I find it a good way to watch the enemy execute their orders before the attack phase.

Experience has shown me most of the time when a unit won't follow an AI order, there is an open AI command on another plan that doesn't match. Simply having the setup on another plan in a different location and no units to follow those orders will hose up you AI. When in doubt go through every setup and clear out all unused setup slots of info. Sometimes I put my red orders in Blue AI slots because often it all starts to bleed together after hours of doing this. It definitely can get confusing but 99% it comes down to user error.

Are you typing in your 'Exit After/Exit Before' numbers? (Exit after 21 minutes / Exit before 28 minutes). A lot of designers don't, but I find its a BAD idea to keep those numbers zeroed-out. If a unit gets distracted by some action and has to reset, all it finds is orders that had to have been completed 1 minute into the game.

Thanks for all of the excellent replies. Hopefully the end result will be some fresh blood up at the depository for scenarios :D

MikeyD, you bring up a point of confusion for me. My exit after/exit before stats were, I thought, pegged at 30 minute intervals. This was a bit frustrating for me as I thought the AI will make up their own mind when to move out during that time frame. I thought 30 minutes was a big 'interval' to make up their mind.

I guess you type it in as you say. I'll have to try that tonight.

Cabal23,

I redid the scenario for right now as a fix with no reinforcements. Soon as I get that down, I'll try the reinforcement thing again.