memory leak

For some reason, all of a sudden, CM:SF crashes every turn or so with what looks like a memory leak. Essentially unplayable as-is. It was fine for a few months until now.

Here is the symptom. The rising and falling line is CMSF sucking memory until it crashes; then I restart it and it crashes again.

Vista 64, latest patches, CMSF latest version. Any ideas?

cmsfMemoryLeak.PNG

Are you using an ATI graphics card? There's a problem with the drivers from 9.4 onwards - a few people here (myself included) have had to go back to using 9.3 to avoid CMSF crashing every few minutes.

I haven't tried the latest 9.6 drivers yet, but 9.4 & 9.5 do not like CMSF.

There's a few threads about this already if you want more info - if you don't have an ATI graphics card I can't help I'm afraid!

Good call.

I was running 9.4 (driver version 8.60) - tried upgrading to 9.6 (driver 8.620), still the same issue.

Then tried downgrading to 9.3 (driver 8.591) - after some epic effort including using "driver cleaner" to get rid of the old crap, finished.

Now CMSF is working right again.

Thanks!

There definatly still is a memory leak in CM:SF though. After I exit the game I need to restart the game and then exit again or restart the computer to release the memory it's using.

Is memory is still allocated after a process exits it cannot be that process' fault. All handles that program had to that memory are gone and they should be released by the operating system (in this case the some drivers and as usual ATI has different ideas about the matter than... everybody else).