The value of intelligence in multiplayer (WaW)?

In a recent game against my friend, I researched intelligence to level 5 for USA but as far as I could tell it didn't spot any units. I got intelligence breakthroughs and it obviously was working because my friend never managed to discover level 2 infantry weapons. However, is it that for some reason in online games it doesn't spot units, or is it that it does spot them but doesn't alert you that it has done so like it would in single player?

I struggle to see the point in investing in it in online games if it can't spot units.

A quick question.

Are you referring to no "Allied" intelligence spotting occurring at all? Or are you referring to the fact that "the US" did not spot any units?

I have noticed in some of the earlier versions of the game that the little flags indicating things like which country's subs are attacking convoy routes as indicated in the end-of-turn summary are occasionally inaccurate (e.g., any sub attack against a convoy route might be indicated in the summary with a German flag even if it is an Italian sub that did the actual attack for example). Perhaps you were getting intel spotting hits, but a UK or USSR intelligence flag was popping up instead of a US one.

In any event, I'd gladly sacrifice all other intel gains if I could hold my opponents to level 1 infantry tech!!! :-)

A quick question.

Are you referring to no "Allied" intelligence spotting occurring at all? Or are you referring to the fact that "the US" did not spot any units?

I have noticed in some of the earlier versions of the game that the little flags indicating things like which country's subs are attacking convoy routes as indicated in the end-of-turn summary are occasionally inaccurate (e.g., any sub attack against a convoy route might be indicated in the summary with a German flag even if it is an Italian sub that did the actual attack for example). Perhaps you were getting intel spotting hits, but a UK or USSR intelligence flag was popping up instead of a US one.

In any event, I'd gladly sacrifice all other intel gains if I could hold my opponents to level 1 infantry tech!!! :-)

Nah, it's WaW version 1.06, the most up to date. You know the way in single player, if you have invested in intelligence, immediately before your turn starts, sometimes a morse code sound comes through and a box appears saying something like "Tank group spotted near Smolensk". Well I had level 5 intel for usa and this never happened in my online game. I guessed that maybe it was spotting the units but just not alerting me to it. But I couldn't tell whether or not units were being revealed or not. I don't recall seeing any units that were outside the spotting range of any of my units.

Could someone please clarify if this is:

A - A small glitch, the units are spotted but you're not alerted to it at the start of the turn

B - A big glitch, the units aren't ever spotted no matter how high your intelligence level is.

C - The intelligence unit spotting facility has been deliberately left out of the online game, possibly for reasons of keeping the game balanced and unpredictable.

It's not necessarily a glitch, there is a % chance of spotting enemy units and if your ground and air troops could already see the vast majority of his units, then it leaves very few available to be spotted by intelligence.

I can only suggest trying it again, or trying out a test scenario where you start with level 5 intel, your opponent has loads of units of sight, and you see if any get spotted. Admittedly that could hardly be called a game, but within a short while you should be able to see whether or not any are being spotted.

It's not necessarily a glitch, there is a % chance of spotting enemy units and if your ground and air troops could already see the vast majority of his units, then it leaves very few available to be spotted by intelligence.

I can only suggest trying it again, or trying out a test scenario where you start with level 5 intel, your opponent has loads of units of sight, and you see if any get spotted. Admittedly that could hardly be called a game, but within a short while you should be able to see whether or not any are being spotted.

Well i did a test scenario where I made a campaign where each major has level 5 intelligence, i did it as a hotseat game and there were tons of intel hits each turn for both axis and allies. I refuse to believe that lvl 5 intel for USA wouldn't have scored at least one hit right through to the end of 1942 in our game unless there was something up. He had plenty of units in the interior that I wasn't in range of.

Guderian, which type of game were you playing where you originally encountered this issue? Email, Network?

If you have the chance can you run a quick test on either of these game types to see if it is repeatable as you did with Hotseat?

The lack of intel spots was in a network game. I could try the campaign with my friend James tonight that i made (the only difference from Fall Weiss being that everyone has level 5 intelligence). I assumed initially that the problem was something to do with the order of events in between the end of my turn and the start of my friend's turn and vice versa, that maybe it was lost in the turn transfer. Because you don't get the same amount of info in between turns in a network game as you do on a single player game, I assumed maybe this is where the intel spots are going missing. Does that make sense to you Hubert?

I'll try and run that test again tonight against James.

The lack of intel spots was in a network game. I could try the campaign with my friend James tonight that i made (the only difference from Fall Weiss being that everyone has level 5 intelligence). I assumed initially that the problem was something to do with the order of events in between the end of my turn and the start of my friend's turn and vice versa, that maybe it was lost in the turn transfer. Because you don't get the same amount of info in between turns in a network game as you do on a single player game, I assumed maybe this is where the intel spots are going missing. Does that make sense to you Hubert?

I'll try and run that test again tonight against James.

Sorry I just posted before I saw this one but it should work the same... let me know what you find tonight.

Hubert

You can try a network game on the same computer actually... you just have to launch the game two times and start a game in one instance and join on the other. I'd recommend running in WINDOWED or non full screen mode as it makes it easier to switch back and forth.

Heh, good call I tried that and much to my amazement it worked, I thought it was bound to crash or and error to happen or something. But yes, I was getting intel spots, it worked when i played myself in a network game. Me and james are going to start another game and i'll be researching intel again, i'll let you know if it's definitely working.

You gotta agree though that the US having level 5 intel and not getting any spots is a little bit strange.

OK we played again last night and once again, I research intel to level three and never spot any units, that was up as far as June 1941. James says in our last game he also had intel for both Germany and Italy and never recieved any spots.

I thought maybe it was because the screen goes black during the turn transfer and that these are skipped, but upon testing i've remembered that the intel spots come up after the military activity of the last turn has been displayed. So I get the military activity ok, but never any intel spots. There's no way that between both of us in two games that we wouldn't spot a single unit, there must be a glitch or something. As I said though, when I did a network game against myself just to test, there were intel spots. What's going on?

I'd be suprised if i'm the first person to notice this.

I can confirm that in e-mail games the intelligence spotting is working (specifically for USA).

I'd like to clarify the impact of "intelligence" on the opponent's research:

So if I'm understanding this correctly if I research to level 4 intelligence and my opponent has level 0 intelligence then they could NEVER succeed in researching any tech beyond level 1? (because the chance to go from 1 to 2 is 4%) Correct?

Does this also apply to my enemy researching intelligence? In other words if I somehow managed to blitz to level 5 intelligence and my opponent had level 0 intelligence then they would never be able to research anything (including intelligence themselves)?