Assault El Derjine V2 just loaded

Sorry for the 15th or so who loaded the 06/03 file V1, I made a check this morning and found that it was not the correct one , regarding the deployment of the Red. My apologies. I have loaded the correct one and will be please to have your comments.

Be advice, that the battle is one to give a new chance to someone having failed the opening battle of the El Derjine campaign that will be release this month.

In the campaign, if you don't get a minor victory, you won't be able to go to the second battle which starts at the Dam's bridge and ends with the seizure of the small town on the plateaux.

I used the "Crossroad at El Derjine" which has been modified slightly for the troops, more for the deployment (with a new staging area on a new map portion) and also for the A.I

The idea was that since you won't be able to deploy a mech company on the Dam's bridge grounds and plateaux, quicly enough, but on a narrow field, if you had to sustain an immediate counter attack, the best way to stop it was to let the mech syrians come on the open ground, fix them with air asset and artillery and only then regain the ground.

That the way I saw it for the game. Militarily speaking, I will have blocked the exit of the Dam's bridge toward El derjine with Air and AT ground CAAT. It would have been a shooting gallery, but that would not make it fun to play.

Sorry again for the file mistake,

Cheer

Here is my quick and dirty AAR.

The game play was RT (I only do RT) on Elite setting. I favor real time as it allows me to micromanage to my heart's content and in this scenario, micromanaging is my key to victory.

****** Spoilers Alert **********

I positioned FOs and Javelin teams on the high ground immediately in front of the tracks along the ridgeline. Forces can start on the ridgeline on the left of the road going through the gap but must move forward a bit to gain the high ground on the right side of the gap.

At game start, I started taking some fire from a building just beyond the gap, which was hit with mortars in response. Meanwhile, the FAC/FO and three javelin teams moved to the crest of the ridge with the AAVs and Abrams taking reverse slope positions immediately behind the crest. My plan was to establish a firing line along the ridge in the event of a counterattack of armor.

My main concern was AT-14 positions in the enemy defensive area so I fired several areas mortar missions on suspected launcher positions.

Upon achieving the crest and taking up defensive positions, the Javelins teams and FAC/FO started to spot moving armor. BMPs started to be spotted at the far left corner of the battle area and Syrian tanks started to spotted moving right to left towards the right middle part of the battlefield.

This is where micromanagement comes in. I can't get the degree of control I desire using the pause command so I manually manage a tactic I find most beneficial.

I run pairs or groups of three M1s up to crest using the hunt command and allow them to spot and engage at will. I limit the exposure to no more than 10 seconds and then regardless of the outcome, the crested M1s are reversed into low ground while another group is moved to the crest, paused and then reversed. Groups of tanks alternate taking a crested hull down postion, spotting, firing once and then reversing. I usually can successfully duck below the crest and evade a incoming AT missile.

Using the above 'move to crest, fire and reverse' tactics, the M1s, in conjuction with the Javelins picked off the enemy's moving armor during the space of some 10 minutes. Several AT-14 were spotted and destroyed by mortars. Two AT-14 shots actually struck my M1s but failed to kill them and only did moderate system damage.

End result of the battle - I got a Total Victory due to enemy casualties and my forces didn't move forward of the ridgeline. I destroyed 6 tanks and 25 APCs and inflicted nearly 300 KIA. My losses were 3 KIA and 2 MIA, mostly due to Syrian artillery.

All and all, it was a good battle and I enjoyed the intensity of doing a 'dance of death' atop the ridge in the face of god know how many AT-14s and not losing a single vehicle.

Well done, Snake_eye. It was another great scenario. My choice of tactics made this scenario relatively easy for myself. I am going to try it again by going over the ridgeline and try to take some ground. I anticipate that it is not going to be so easy the next time.

Thank you for another enjoyable scenario.

Here is my quick and dirty AAR. .......Thank you for another enjoyable scenario.

Thanks to you, for your detailed AAR. If you can send me a detailed shot of all Blue and Red end of the game report that would be an invaluable source of information for further improvement.

Cheer

Hi,

Just finished with a Total Victory in 1:09 without feeling challenged. In fact, I just wanted to get over with it (have to go to sleep) and rushed units forward.

I lost only one M1, no other tracked vehicle. I am afraid that Red has no chance in this scenario.

Best regards,

Thomm

Well THOMM, thanks for your comments on the battle and for the map you enjoyed. The Red, you are right, won't have a chance in the ending, being forced to surrender due to their casualties. Have in mind that the final goal of that battle, is to get to the 2nd one of the coming campaign. It is just a second chance. The troops involved won't be fighting in the follow up of the campaign battles, so you won't have to worry about them.

If that battle should end in a no victory result, with an an eviction of the campaign, that would not be a pleasant campaign to play. However, someone ending that way, would not be able to carry on a fight on the 2nd battle as well as on the 3rd, due to its management of a full company and some assets, against veterans troops.

By the way, there are 2 A.I plans, in the battle you fought. In one the syrian, hold the lines, in the other they rush forward and you can pick them up in the open.

Cheer

• 2 weeks later...

Help-- I have tired this several times and several ways but I get stomped every time-- --could some one give me a hint or two-- I tried to send marines up the nearest hill for overview- lost them-- everytime I sneak up an M1 they are lost-- shoot and scoot I lose them-- so HELP --btw I like the new map --- just too dumb to play it

Help-- --- just too dumb to play it

You surely are not dumb to play it, but if you were a little bit more cautious that will do the trick.

In vast expense of field, more to say with little ot no cover, you are a sitting duck. Try to move behind smoke and or while pourring suppresing mortar fire on located or thought enemy emplacements.

M1's tanks can go through one or two AT missiles shots with some luck, yet you better move them behind berms or through small low spots and have them scoot and shot very quickly, once at a time and no more than 1 or 2 seconds. read BLACKMORIA AAR.

Thanks for the map

Cheer