Plinking with the main gun

Is it just me or does it seem like as soon as my tanks see a single enemy soldier they blast away with their main gun. The seem to continue to do this until they are at about 50% HEAT/HE. At this point they seem to switch to the coax. This seems like a colossal waste of ammo to me, but I have never been a tanker so maybe I am ill informed on how to engage dismounts.

Anyway what are your thoughts on this?

Steve-o

I would have thought that with the modern era's deadly infantry AT assets any enemy infantry is a potential threat to the tank, and so using the main gun is appropriate.

Not that I know any better than you, mind. I'd like to hear what those in the know have to say about it too.

I believe this got worse in the latest patch, and there is a particular problem with infantry in trenches, which is highlighted in the first Task Force Thunder mission. Even giving "target light" orders, your tanks insist on engaging infantry and MGs in the trenches with the main gun, but it seems that they are either aiming for the middle of the targeted infantryman's body (that is not exposed above the edge of the trench) or for the ground under the infantryman (i.e. the bottom of the trench). Since the tank and the trench are at nearly the same elevation and the trajectory of the tank round is nearly flat, this creates a big problem: the tank engages with the main gun over and over again, but all shots impact short of the trench. The only way to achieve good effect on the target is to force an area target on the back lip of the trench (i.e. one action spot behind the trench). This is much more likely to land main gun rounds in the trench than is directly targeting a visible enemy in the trench (which is counterintuitive), but this is also wastes quite a bit of main gun ammo. I finally gave up and gave the tanks cover arcs so they would not engage targets in the trenches, even though some of the heavy MGs there were plinking away at my tanks and causing minor external damage.

I had intended to set up a test and post a bug report, but haven't got around to it. Maybe I'll do that today.

Even giving "target light" orders, your tanks insist on engaging infantry and MGs in the trenches with the main gun

I noticed that happens as well with "light" vehicles, not posing a threat (T-72 vs. Humvee in the particular case I encountered).

Some sort of refined threat assessment by the AI ("can it kill me?") would be nice.

I would think its a where there is one there are bound to be more reaction. Which seems to be a pretty reasonable guess, to me. And Birdstrike, did you notice what type of shell was used, it would perfectly justifiable to use an HE round on light armor.