"File unspecified..." error via Repository?

Need help here.

I've tried 6-7 times to upload a sound mod to the Repository, and each time, after about 10 min., I get a "File unspecified..." error statement.

When I click to close the Error box, Repository loads up a short statement that's displayed for less than a second and then disappears. I have no idea what this statement says.

I don't know what it is I'm doing "wrong," as all fields, save for the Disclaimer boxes, are filled out properly (I leave the Disclaimer stuff alone, as I assume Battlefront has the default setting to Always On). Any clues to save my brain from exploding in needless frustration?

Thanks!

:mad:

The "file unspecified" error is a generic error showing that the Repository doesn't like "something" about what you're uploading. It could be the format (only ZIP and RAR archives are allowed), it could be the size (max upload size is 40 MB IIRC), or something else, but usually it's one of these.

Hah!

I just refreshed the page before I was going to post, "...does it have anything to do with the file being in .rar format...", but now I see that isn't the issue. Which means it's the...

File SIZE.

46.8 MB.

Well, that explains it then.

And you know what? It's only two sound loops, which are barely altered ones from Mord's background sound mod. Does CMSF only play .wav files, or can they be converted to .mp3, or...?

If .mp3's are doable, it'd be great if I could get a recommendation for a good and FREE .wav to .mp3 converter.

I'd hate to have to split the file in two in order for the sounds to get posted.

Thanks!

No problem. The plan is to eventually raise the limits considerably, but first we needed to get the system as a whole stabilized. Except for the occasional hiccup it's been working smoothly for a while now, so we are now ready for the next step soon.

GreenAsJade,

Just the person I was going to soon PM, but now since you've replied here...!

I have already taken turns uploading not only to the Repository, but also to your new site, and I was rejected by both! I wish that I would've known about the Repository's size limitation before I wasted those hours sitting around, but does your site have similar parameters as well?

I had a number of strange occurences while uploading to your site. For example, the first several times I tried uploading, the progress bar very slowly went up to about halfway, and then stopped, and then that led to an error message that I can't remember now. The very last time I tried, it uploaded to "...100%" in about only 5 minutes, but then the page didn't go anywhere, and after about an hour, I refreshed the page to find it not listed. :(

Any advice for me? :confused:

Thanks!

CMSFMods currently has the limit set to 250M, just to stop someone doing something truly crazy.

People have reported from time to time intermittent problems getting big files to "go the whole way". As I said, I think that files of upwards of 50M may be pushing the reliability of uploading via HTTP. There are things that can go wrong between you and the server, and the server can have a glitch too.

That said, I just uploaded a 50M mod with no hassles...

GaJ

GreenAsJade,

I just finished another "Uploading 100%", but when I checked to see which mods have been uploaded by me, none are listed.

Here's a pic of the loading screen:

2q8akqt.png

Do you need to review the file before it's formally recognized and posted, or should I just try again?

Yours,

Kyle