BTR TOE mixup?

Reserve Mech Inf (BTR) Battalion. Companies have a section of heavy (120mm) mortars. Battalion has a platoon of medium (82mm) mortars.

Is that for real? It seems pretty bass-ackwards, unless they expect a seriously huge frontage to be covered by companies... even then it seems common sense that in such a case you'd want 120mm at battalion to keep more assets in your range fan.

If they're following the old Soviet TO&Es the companies probably shouldn't have mortars either. And 82mm mortars should be optional attachments at the BN level. Who knew the Soviets were so... fiddly?

If they're following the old Soviet TO&Es the companies probably shouldn't have mortars either. And 82mm mortars should be optional attachments at the BN level. Who knew the Soviets were so... fiddly?

According to FM 100-60, they actually have a full battery of mortars, two platoons with three tubes each. But I'd assumed that the Syrians modified it to suit local conditions and their preferences, which tends to happen, especially with big ticket items like fire support.

Cool, thanks for the reference. I was going back to my books on Afghanistan / early 80s cold war.

Yes, I'd assume the same... but then by the same inference they could have, well, anything. (Especially given the incredibly poor levels of equipment a reservist unit would have. Would they even have 120s?)

It is possible I intended on having the Reserve Mech Battalions to have 82s at the Company level and 120s at the Battalion level, but I put the 120s in 3 spots and the 82s in one spot, so I doubt it. But I did the TO&E almost 2 years ago and unfortunately didn't keep liner notes for stuff like that. I do have some notes that I based many of the non-Soviet standards on, though I haven't dug them up to check.

One thing I'm pretty sure about is that the 82s shouldn't be higher up than the 120s. If for no other reason than range.

Steve

I've always had misgivings about the mortar allocation - sure I'd mentioned it somewhere but I can't find it. 82mm should be the bog standard Bn-level mortar for 2nd/3rd World armies modelled on the FSU-pattern. The 120mm mortar is generally found in leg infantry brigades either as part of the bde artillery battalion or as the bde mortar battery in its own right.

It is possible I intended on having the Reserve Mech Battalions to have 82s at the Company level and 120s at the Battalion level, but I put the 120s in 3 spots and the 82s in one spot, so I doubt it. But I did the TO&E almost 2 years ago and unfortunately didn't keep liner notes for stuff like that. I do have some notes that I based many of the non-Soviet standards on, though I haven't dug them up to check.

One thing I'm pretty sure about is that the 82s shouldn't be higher up than the 120s. If for no other reason than range.

Steve

I forgot to say thanks for the quick response. Thank you.

I've always had misgivings about the mortar allocation - sure I'd mentioned it somewhere but I can't find it. 82mm should be the bog standard Bn-level mortar for 2nd/3rd World armies modelled on the FSU-pattern. The 120mm mortar is generally found in leg infantry brigades either as part of the bde artillery battalion or as the bde mortar battery in its own right.

Do you have any sources I should be looking at? Right now I'm pretty much stuck on FM 100-60, which is increasingly only representative of the 11th ACR at NTC or as a historical piece.