Vehicles moving by themselves

alan123

I wish the vehicle moving by themselves feature was an option one could turn off permanently rather than a button that one must click on after every move for every unit which sometimes gets forgotten with disastrous results.

The same comment applies to TOW2 too.

Trucks and infantry do not charge off by themselves so why should the tanks do this?

In the Close Combat series of games there is an option called "units act on their own initiative" which one could turn off and this would stop them wandering off and getting killed, we need this in the TOW games too.

Could this be done?

Cheers

Alan.

I am aware of the hold button and use is constantly.

What I am suggesting is that one should have the option of turning off the vehicle movement (on their own initiative) all together. So that when they move to a new position they simply stay there no matter what. No moving not ever unless given an order to do so, just like a truck or infantry unit.

I have lost countless tanks to enemy fire because I forgot to press the hold button EACH time I moved it somewhere new.

Also a vehicle will forget to hold when a new crew member or passenger climbs aboard.

This is a shame as it spoils the game a bit for me.

The change in TOW2 is what is needed in TOW1. It is a great improvement in an area that has bugged for ages over this game.

If you make this change to TOW1 I promise I will buy a copy of TOW2 immediately. I will buy the new TOW1 expansion pack too.

AL

Hold mode doesn't reset when you issue orders, i don't understand why you need to constantly turn it on.

When I play TOW1 (and I just had a quick game to double check before writing this) unless I press hold after every movement order my tanks will start driving off by themselves if an enemy is around.

Also if a vehicle is stopped and holding and a crew member or passenger climbs aboard the hold order is cancelled and the tanks starts moving on its own.

Am I missing some trick that stops this happening?

Lettuce no!

Alan.

• 1 month later...
When I play TOW1 (and I just had a quick game to double check before writing this) unless I press hold after every movement order my tanks will start driving off by themselves if an enemy is around.

Also if a vehicle is stopped and holding and a crew member or passenger climbs aboard the hold order is cancelled and the tanks starts moving on its own.

Am I missing some trick that stops this happening?

Lettuce no!

Alan.

i totally agree. have a tank move to a point and click hold position. do anything else and the hold position ceases so u have to click it back on.

i hate it when i pause the game and use enter a lot to get a tank in 'hulldown' [some kinda icon for this would be much better than having to micro-bloody-manage... obv dep on driver/gunner/commander abilities].

great! my T34/41 is in hulldown. it's heavily outnumbered by PzIIIs and PzIVs but i'm in defilade from them so with only 2 PzIIIs in sight from this position i got a good chance of wasting them -the biggest threats - and moving on to wasting the rest when they advance [early moscow campaign, btw]. my gunner is hero of soviet union w gunnery 98, scouting 85. the loader has 68/55 respectively of those skills. driver has driving 90-something and also high scout skill. TOP CLASS DRIVER.

guess what? i click on hold position, then fire at turret of one of the PzIIIs [it is RED! not black! so i assume it can be seen... greyed out or black usually means out of line of sight]. the T34 begins moving. it moves ON TOP of the hill, fully silhouetted, and bang bang bang, tracks and turret are wasted. i bail the crew, and pray inf w AT grens do wot my tanks cannot. kill the enemy tanks.

i spend huge amounts of time micro managing with this game. the AI can be terrible. and my left mouse button is a bit tricky so i often think i have clicked something when i haven't.

i still enjoy it tho. at least it isn't one of those arcade type thyings called RTS which are just for amphetamine fuelled click monsters.

there are some things tho which i'm going to write a separate post about. rubble buildings etc