Anyone else making CMAK into "CMBO2"?

I know that CMAK cannot cover 100% of what CMBO offers. Certain vehicles were not programmed and bocage terrain not included. So CMBO will probably always be on my HD.

But based on the attraction of CMBB ROQC and the more powerful QB editor of CMBB/CMAK, I am embarking on my own for myself to develop CMAK into a sort of "CMBO2". Just by bringing over some files and renumbering them I can get some visual gameplay changes. Uniforms, buildings, helmets, mountainless Sky graphics. I only say "on my own for myself" in that I do not claim to be a modder or have talent to deliver a quality product but also I would not hold anything back if others asked for batch files, etc. Like I am making a new recipe soup and you can taste it if you like. Doesn't mean I'm aiming to serve it tonight for chow!

Note: I'm targeting to be able to cover Battle of the Bulge type scenarios and Mortain counterattack. Of course no KG Peiper KingTigers but no big deal to me.

If anyone else is working on anything like this, I'd like to share ideas. Thanks.

Not into the 're-creating famous battles club' I'm afraid, because I just view this as a great game system and I think, having played several dozen games in all systems (CMBO/BB/AK) that if you want to pit 1944-45 Germans against Allied forces, then CMAK is the better gane for you.

Poor old CMBO, the early version with the bugs, is a great game, but it has major fundamental flaws, notably:

a) machine guns are hopelessly ineffective

B) artillery is appallingly over-effective

c) infantry is a bit super-fit for normal people

So, CMAK makes machines guns, artillery and people a lot more 'normal' than CMBO.

I don't give a flying bocage about minor details like bocage. And the odd missing machine, etc.

Basically, it's like this:

If you like US/Brit etc allies V Germans in 44-45, get CMAK

If you like Russan etc allies V Germans 41-45, get CMBB

I'm afraid that CMBO is out of the loop, old-fashioned stuff that was excellent two years ago but is decidedly not-on in late 2003.

Originally posted by Panzertruppe:

Although CMAK and CMBB have many inhancements and upgrades CMBO is still very fun to play ( even if the "loop" controls your life) :rolleyes:

Look at other wargames trying to compete with the original CMBO...most are miserable failers.

I don't know of any direct competitors to CMBO, given that it is an older title now, but mainly because I see no other company level WEGO games out there....which titles are you referring to?

I bought a game called "Campaign" back in the mid 90's that was a little similar to CM but very flawed. Then "Across The Rhine" tried to become a tactical wargame/tank sim all in the same package.

There were a few others that I cannot think of. After CMBO came out "Force 21" tried wargaming in 3D,like GI Combat and now EYSA. CMBO will shine far above those coasters forever.

I still enjoy ASL with some old farts like myself even though I'm not a "loopy" person who believes I need the newest computer,fancy graphics,and newest technology to keep up with the "Jones'".

And M.Dorosh.....low blow picking on my "Teddy"!

NavyDiver

Can you tell me a bit more about what you are doing as I just bought CMBB & CMAK and they make CMBO look a bit lame especially the machine gun effectiveness.

I had thought of trying what you are doing as I prefer the European theatre as opposed to Russia & Africa.However having played a quick CMAK battle I will find it hard to go back to the old CMBO interface plus the appearance is fantastic.

Look forward to your details soon.

Like Panzertruppe I am also an old ASL player. But ASL went over the top with the rules thing, so I have to say I am really an old Squad Leader player at heart. CMBO saves a lot of "book" time. Although there is a lot to be said for the competitive atmosphere of a good FtF boardgame encounter, CM has to many advantages. It certainly saves time and effort. As far as comparisons to CMBB and CMAK, to me the real beauty of this game is in the excitement of the replay. In this regard CMBO is no different than the other two versions, so I am quite happy to continue playing it.

• 3 weeks later...