problem with open up

Hello all!

I can't get my Stryker passengers to close their hatches. When I use the 'open up' command it merely makes the crew open (or close) their hatches, without affecting the passengers. This is the same whether I give the command to the passengers or to the vehicle. I tested it in We Go and in the scenario designer 'deploy' viewer.

It's not supposed to be that way, right?

I'm using the Marines module with the patch, if it makes a difference.

Follow up question- If I uninstall and reinstall to see if it helps, do I need to unlicense the game first?

A co,

Welcome to CMSF. This issue has been discussed at great length earlier. The designers, after MUCH research, have elected to have passengers as air guards at all times. Hence, no matter what you command, at least two passengers will be "up" at all times. The pros and cons of this have been debated. This is doctrine and so is reflected in the game.

Enjoy!

Ken

A co,

Welcome to CMSF. This issue has been discussed at great length earlier. The designers, after MUCH research, have elected to have passengers as air guards at all times. Hence, no matter what you command, at least two passengers will be "up" at all times. The pros and cons of this have been debated. This is doctrine and so is reflected in the game.

Enjoy!

Ken

Odd that, since the defacto premise of Shock Force is that the US has overwhelming air superiority and the Syrian air assets are either destroyed or will be destroyed up leaving the ground. This is reflected in the game by Red having no air assets. Seems odd to program in a doctrine which, based on the premise, is essentially pointless.

The designers, after MUCH research, have elected to have passengers as air guards at all times.

Odd that, since the defacto premise of Shock Force is that the US has overwhelming air superiority and the Syrian air assets are either destroyed or will be destroyed up leaving the ground. This is reflected in the game by Red having no air assets. Seems odd to program in a doctrine which, based on the premise, is essentially pointless.

True, in the strategic/operational scenario on which CM:SF is based, the US would have air superiority.

I do not claim to be an expert in Stryker-related tactics or technology, but the term "air guard" does not, as I understand it, refer to defending against air attack. For one, the troops in a typical Stryker have no weaponry capable of defending against even light helicopters (let alone fast movers), except for perhaps the Javelin, which supposedly can be used secondarily against helos. (Much more effective would be, not to dismount or unbutton, but simply to use the RWS to bring the Stryker's own M2 or Mk 19 to bear on any helicopter, assuming it was even within range.)

What the "air guards" are for is guarding against attacks from above. This is especially important in MOUT. If the Stryker was entirely buttoned up, it would be vulnerable to grenades lobbed and RPGs fired from upper floors of nearby buildings. With two men unbuttoned and on the watch, however, they can spot such things and, for example, pick up and hurl away any grenade landing on the Stryker's roof, or if they spot an RPG team getting a bead on them from a window of a nearby building, they can both alert the Stryker's crew and passengers to the danger and bring suppressive fire to bear.

But like I said, I don't claim to be an expert. :D