Operation Stalemate

As a little light relief I played operation Stalemate as Japanese.

Japanese wiped the floor with the US, destroying the main invasion force then launching a land and amphibious on the rest.

Despite this, game was declared a stalemate.

Is this a glitch? A joke given scenario name - but did seem a strange result, it was anything but.

Hi Colin

Thanks for the file. The reason for the stalemate is because the US are still holding Radar Hill, which is one of the three key objectives the Japanese would need for a minor victory.

So, I agree that your troops did well, but the enemy still have a foothold on an important objective on the island.

Stalemate.gif

I'm actually surprised that the US troops got that far. I had included that location and Ngesebus Airbase to its north in the Japanese minor victory conditions because I thought that if the Japanese were doing ok, but hard pressed, then they would be more likely to survive in the north than in the south. Evidently you've turned my theory on its head in this game! :)

Thanks Bill. I shifted almost all my forces South - did not know whether there would be secondary invasions. So, reinforced my armour then basically drove the US into the sea with about 10 turns to go. Once this was done turned North by land and sea, took apart most of the Northern force but did not take the last objective. Would still score this as a Japanese victory but understand your point.

Think it was a logical strategy. If I had defended all locations I would not have had the men to overwhelm the main US landing.

Guess you cannot do it in SC but really those Japanese naval guns should not be able to fire inland. Thought it was a good move leaving Amphib capability in for Japan - on this scale small boats should suffice.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Colin,

Something new we added with the Pacific release wrt the smaller campaigns was the yellow circular highlight of the main objectives for each mini campaign. This can be seen in the screenshots Bill provided and hopefully this will help you identify the targets more easily.

Hubert