Artillery 'completely' missing its mark

Hi,

I'm playing the Rahadnak Valley Search scenario that comes with the marines module. I decided to call in artillery support with a HQ team that has not suffered any casualties, is unsuppressed, and has full C2 with people higher up in the chain of command.

But for some reason the mortars rounds are dropped way off mark. I have never seen this before playing as marines. Is this a bug? Or is this there a logical explanation for this? Save game is available.

Hi if you use emergency fire in the mission, this would explain it as emergency uses no spotting rounds and in my experience can land anywhere on the map or even off the map. I never use this function because it is so inaccurate. I rather use heavy mission or a lower mission. It takes longer, due to spotting {about 3 rounds for US and about 5 to 8 rounds for red}, but at least your artillery is more accurate, and you do not stand the chance of accidentally shelling your own troops.

Hope this helps.

Paul

I used a heavy mission, so that can't be it.

Possibly a case of the FO not being able to see the spotting rounds / losing LoS to the target for a while? I've managed to get an enemy artillery mission (PBEM game) to land way off map by finding his FO and shooting the hell out of him - which is one way of doing it (the first spotting rounds were on target too, but after the FO died it all went a bit pear-shaped).

You've been playing some version of CM for how many years and didn't know this? Tsk, tsk.

Michael

I'm not sure that LoS to the spotting rounds, wherever they happen to fall (as opposed to LoS to the target) matters. Maybe it does - it is a possibility. I believe you need LoS to the target area while the spotting rounds are falling, rather than LoS to the round points themselves, but I can't claim any evidence to back that up.

In CMx1 I think breaking LoS to the target point at any time before the mission started would mess up the accuracy, even if you lost LoS and regained it before the spotting rounds started. In CMx2 you can lose LoS as long as you regain a view of the target area before spotting starts.

You've been playing some version of CM for how many years and didn't know this? Tsk, tsk.

Michael

It kind of was pushed back to the back of my mind. Often I called artillery support and it seemed like (some) of the spotting rounds were falling out of LOS yet the mission was still on target. I'm guessing you don't need all spotting rounds in LOS, but only a few.