Runtime #3(trap) error

I know this has been covered in other posts but I tried all the solutions battlefront lists to try and nothing works. I still get the same message. I still have to submit a ticket to BF but thought I would post here to see if anyone else has a quick solution.

My specs are:

Pentium D process.

2 GB of RAM

Nvidia 8600GTS X 2 running SLI - DL'd latest drivers last night

Nvidia motherboard

Windows XP pro 32 bit

Running AVG antivirus - tried turning off and on - neither work

No sound card. Use on board sound.

Downloaded my game from Direct2Drive. They claim I have the updated version that does not need the Uber Patch.

Went to DirectX and Dl'd latest version last night

I am at work so I cannot post a Directx log.

Also tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

I did not try to redownload the game and reinstall. I will try that today when I get home. I doubt this will work though. It installed fine with no problems or errors so I dont think it is a corrupt DL. I can also open up the other programs that come with the game - Battlemaker, Map editior, etc.. with no problem.

I seen a post about OpenGL being the problem but I am not really familiar with OpenGL.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I was able to play this game before but I had a different motherboard - ASUS. Not sure if this has anything to do with it. Another thing is that I was able to DL'd and play the TOW 2 demo with no problems. I figure if I can play TOW2 why cant I play TOW1?

I am still working on the ticket on this one. I have diagnosed the problem down to the "plug and play" service. I did a selective service startup and loaded service by service until I found the culprit.

The only problem is the game works when I shut plug and play down but I have no sound. I am not very computer savy so I need to know how I can shut this service down and still get the sound to work if possible.

I am not using a sound card. I am using the onboard sound from my nvidia 680SLI motherboard. I believe it is a REALTEK driver?

OK. I installed a sound blaster audigy card and the most recent drivers. I disabled on board audio and no good!!! The card works fine with everything so the card is not dead. The game still gives me the runtime(trap) error unless I disable the plug and play in services. I can then play the game but still with no sound. Any ideas??

• 2 weeks later...

had the same error report myself, mate. i went for reformat hdd and reinstall winXP and seems to be fine. i have amd3200, asus mobo w. nvidia chipset and geforce 7600GS grfx.

also, i had 'runservices.exe' in win folder so guess my OS had become corrupted somehow

I thought it was the runservices.exe program. I might be wrong. I was playing the first mission in the Poland campaign and at the experience allocation screen the famous "runtime error #3" popped up and forced me to close my game. I was able to go back in and allocate the troop experience and save. The game then allowed me to continue on to the next mission. I am not sure why this message all of a sudden popped up????

• 2 weeks later...

yep. i'm getting it again after a reformat/reinstall. was halfway thru moscow missions too. dont think i can be bothered with this anymore. and if ToW2 has it then i'm staying well away. i usually don't buy a game until i've read plenty of threads on the game's forums for bugs etc [except for MOO3.. whoa!! that was a doozy.. money down the drain].atm, empire total war is a definite 'don't buy until they fix it'

guess i'm installing CMAK again.

but seriously... is there really no fix for this bug? cos my game worked fine until today. i've installed HL2 and STEAM since playing it last.

can't edit again.grrr...

anyways...

i fixed the runtime error #3. i narrowed it down to setting geforce 7600GS extension limit to 'off' in control panel [i've had all settings maxed out cos of HL2! it really does look good on my present old, creaking pc, he he. well, it came out in 2004 and i had an amd 1200 then].

and now? back to defeat the fascist invaders, comrade! URRAH!!