Transfering PBEM Games

I've recently built a new PC and installed CMSF w/ Marines and updated patches. I had the same version of CMSF in my old machine. I was able to copy my PBEM turns to my new machine, play the turn and, apparently, save the new turn.

But the new turn is nowhere to be found, certainly not in Outgoing Files and according to a search I did, no where at all on the new machine.

Any suggestions, anatomically possible of course, would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Okay, a bit more information.

I neglected to mention that I'm using Vista and my old machine was XP. I found the files that had been created in some kind of goofy User folder called "Virtual Store". Apparently CMSF saves the files THERE instead of the normal Outgoing Files ... likely there's some switch I have to flip or chicken I have to sacrifice on the altar of Bill Gates to make it work.

Then, to top things off, Windows Mail can't find the bloody folder to attach the PBEM file, so I have to physically copy the file from the Virtual Store into the Outgoing folder.

Needless to say it's not worth the effort since I"m playing CessPoolers and they're barely worth the effort of firing up the game.

Joe

This is a problem with the UAC's (User Account Control) File & Registry Virtualization. Instead of allowing you to write files to Program directories, which is viewed as a security hazard, Windows Vista interceps and redirects file writes to a User directory instead. You can disable UAC, which will stop this behavior, but it increases your security risk.

To disable the UAC go to Control Panel > User Accounts (Classic View) > underneath the "Make changes to your user account" at the bottom should be a link called "Turn User Account Control on or off". Click on this and you'll be presented with a check-mark box. Uncheck it and click OK to disable UAC. When you reboot UAC should be off and CMSF's PBEM files should no longer be redirected to a user account folder.

It's also possible to change the rights to the Program Files directory directly and keep UAC enabled (if you want it enabled). Changing the Permissions on the Programs Files folder to "Full Control" for the user/admin group that your user belongs to. I'll need to look this up to give you more detailed info on it.

This is a problem with the UAC's (User Account Control) File & Registry Virtualization. Instead of allowing you to write files to Program directories, which is viewed as a security hazard, Windows Vista interceps and redirects file writes to a User directory instead. You can disable UAC, which will stop this behavior, but it increases your security risk.

To disable the UAC go to Control Panel > User Accounts (Classic View) > underneath the "Make changes to your user account" at the bottom should be a link called "Turn User Account Control on or off". Click on this and you'll be presented with a check-mark box. Uncheck it and click OK to disable UAC. When you reboot UAC should be off and CMSF's PBEM files should no longer be redirected to a user account folder.

It's also possible to change the rights to the Program Files directory directly and keep UAC enabled (if you want it enabled). Changing the Permissions on the Programs Files folder to "Full Control" for the user/admin group that your user belongs to. I'll need to look this up to give you more detailed info on it.

OR ... as I just found out by searching for the right terms ... you can just move the entire CMSF program from the Programs folder to the C: drive directly. Then CMSF is able to recognize both the Incoming and Outgoing folders and drop files in there appropriately.

Thanks for the response though, if I hadn't found the answer, literally just this minute, I'd have been lost and your solution would certainly have worked.

Joe