Climbing the road to Shin....

I must say that this was one of the most pretty maps out there. This is a good way through the Marine campaign. The magnificent altitude is awesome and climbing that winding road up to the top and cresting over to the village was a clear sense of height. The fight wasn't all that difficult but it was just grueling climbing that mountain scouting for ambushes, finding fields of fire and the like.

This scenario made me want build a scenario badly.... no tabletop map here....

The fight wasn't all that difficult

"Wasn't all that difficult"!? After repeated attempts, all of which resulted in at least half a dozen knocked out vehicles (including a couple AAVs) before I had even reached the pass, I gave up, then restarted and hit "cease fire" almost right away, just bypassing the scenario. Those ATGMs tended to make life miserable for my troops, even when I kept the vehicles under cover and just probed forward with my dismounts -- one AT-14 in the middle of a Marine squad equals ouch for half a dozen guys. =(

Even so, I too liked the truly mountainous feel of the map. :)

"Wasn't all that difficult"!? After repeated attempts, all of which resulted in at least half a dozen knocked out vehicles (including a couple AAVs) before I had even reached the pass, I gave up, then restarted and hit "cease fire" almost right away, just bypassing the scenario. Those ATGMs tended to make life miserable for my troops, even when I kept the vehicles under cover and just probed forward with my dismounts -- one AT-14 in the middle of a Marine squad equals ouch for half a dozen guys. =(

Even so, I too liked the truly mountainous feel of the map. :)

Curiously, I've only just finished this mission too. I'd have to say that I found it fairly easy too, but what you find easy or hard is to some extent a matter of play style. The Syrian airborne positions aren't simple nuts to crack, but I got through with only 9 dead and 2 vehicles toasted. I may have had some luck too (LAV survived a full frontal RPG, and I saw a few close misses from ATGMs and recoilless rifles too).

My personal approach was split squads, keeping vehicles safely out of sight. Advance on enemy positions in a pretty wide pattern (one squad, split into teams, plus the fighter team, and an MG team, spread over 100-150 meters. Get enough shooters and mortar fun to suppress the ATGM / recoilless teams, and then rush up an LAV and AAV to hit them while they are down. Plus RPGs and recoilless rounds can't take out half a dozen men when there are only 4 in any one location. Use hunt commands to go over crests so when they take fire they can drop down and completely break LOS while letting you know where the enemy is, so yuo can maneouver other guys into position to suppress.

I find marine platoons have so much firepower, particularly with an AAV per squad, that I tend to split them and use them much like I would a CMx1 company :)

Forgot to add the second half of the playstyle point - I am a rather cautious, risk averse player who puts a great deal of store in gathering intelligence, and keeping the enemy unaware of my position. Sneaking around ambushes and outmaneouvering them is something I do moderately well.

Conversely, I really suck at pitched battles and wide open terrain (not least, I keep forgetting about using smoke :( ). And I can well imagine that someone who finds those kinds of battles intuitively easy to run would have a harder time in this kind of mission.

(Credit to the scenario designer though - nice to see someone using height well in a map).