Is it Dangerous....

Absolutely!

As in real life, if you intrude into a weapons free zone and you can't be clearly identified as friendly forces, you can expect a friendly fire incident in CMSF.

In CMSF, just sitting immediately outside the CAS zone is no guarantee of not being hit as well, as I found out the hard way.

As in real life, keep your forces at a distance from CAS doing their grim business.

Absolutely!

As in real life, if you intrude into a weapons free zone and you can't be clearly identified as friendly forces, you can expect a friendly fire incident in CMSF.

In CMSF, just sitting immediately outside the CAS zone is no guarantee of not being hit as well, as I found out the hard way.

As in real life, keep your forces at a distance from CAS doing their grim business.

i second that and it was simply brutal when that happened!

Also be sure you aren't on the receiving end of A-10 gunfire. I had troops calling it in a nice distance away (so it seemed) and I never suspected the a-10 would strafe the enemy and I would be at the end of its strafe path, because I had no idea which direction the gunfire would come from. My men were still quite a distance away. The strafe path of a a-10 can be long and brutal!

(4) Danger-Close. Danger-close information is included when applicable.

FA and mortars—Danger-close target is within 600 meters of friendly troops.

Naval gunfire-Danger—close target is within 750 meters when using 5-inch or smaller guns (1,000 meters for larger naval guns).

Method of adjustment—During danger-close missions, the FO uses only the creeping method of adjustment (corrections of no more than 100 meters).

From: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/3-21-71/ch8.htm

I always hear about it, first time I ever looked up and saw what kinda number is actualy given for it.

I've learned the hard way to keep my boys back a bit. Anyone remember that story from the Gulf War about the friendly fire on the troops in the open.... man that would suck...

Those flyboys are a little trigger happy jocks so I've given them a wide berth to work with....

Another question would be what is the expected time from order to strike for Apache and F-18?

Helo's tend to loiter Nap of the Earth if possible or landed in Holding Area's close to the FEBA. So from call going in to Impact Point you can be about 10mins. Thats with a dedicated team. Getting a major mud mover to the IP can be as much as 20mins depending on the team doing the calling.

After the CAS call your helo support can linger close by so secondary strikes are much much quicker but the Jet's tend to get out the zone to avoid AAA and can take a 15mile or so return run in a few mins but slightly longer than the helo's.

Just my experience. If you have a better or clearer set up then it's quicker but if your GPS poops out or your radio battery is low.....

It all depends on if the CAS is actually assigned to your sector or patrol.

Edit to say "don't know if you mean IRL or ingame" gave you real life stats on avg I saw.

I'm quite leery of suffering Blue-on-Blue incidents (especially due to simple impatience), so I don't move my troops anywhere near where shells/bombs/rockets are going to be landing. This leads fairly often to occasions where for up to a few minutes at a stretch hardly anything is happening and my troops are prone or kneeling behind cover while waiting for the artillery to finish its mission or the JDAM to arrive. I often imagine that if I were facing a human player, he/she might well think, "Hmmm, they've stopped. That must mean artillery or CAS is on the way. Displace!" That's what I'd figure, anyway.