Why are 60mm mortars off-map?

Sapper64

Ok, based on the Battlefront web-site and member feed-back, I've bought CMSF and the Marines add-on, and can't wait for the British Forces module - so I'm sold on the game...err... simulation (I keep telling my wife: "it's NOT a game, it's a military simulation" but she just gives me a saddo look :)

As a newbie, I'm probably talking anathema here, but, a question:

I can understand off-map artillery and planes, even large mortars - but why are the small mortars not modelled on-map as they are intrinsic to infantry units?

Are there programming issues, or is it a game philosopy issue thing (keeping focussed on the pixeltruppen (love the terminology :D) or something?

It would be great to see little mortars being set up, ranged etc.

Are there programming issues, or is it a game philosopy issue thing (keeping focussed on the pixeltruppen (love the terminology :D) or something?

The correct answer is: C) Or something.

If the mortar animations and code were there ready to go I don't doubt BFC would put them in. But sadly, they aren't. And since it's true that small mortars are nowadays more a form of artillery rather then the glorified grenade launchers of WW2 they got treated as artillery. So the modelling of on map mortars was streamlined out to give poor old Charles (the lone coder) a chance of some sleep because it could be rationalized that it wouldn't detract from the simulation.

Or BFC did it to make us angry and/or sad. This seems to be a surprisingly large school of thought in regards to CMSF shortcomings. ;)

The sucky type of light mortars are back for the Normandy game, where they can't be treated as regular artillery due to their range limitations. And with the rationalization not being valid this time, we get them on map in that title. Poor old Charles probably gets Red Bull poured into his brain jar* already. :D

*The commonly held belief here is that Charles is in fact a brain in a jar. There are photographs on the BFC website that show Charles Moylan being a genuine human, but these are believed to be fake.

Thanks for the replies Wengart / Elmar.

Explanation much appreciated.

Wow! One person codes all this!!! That's amazing.

Re "CMSF shortcomings": I've had some really great games over the years (I won't bore you by listing them... or start an off-topic thread :) ), and it seems to me that it's the best games that generate the most heated discussions over perceived "shortcomings" - if the games were poor, gamers would just let them die a quiet death.

Where gamers care about "their" game, they naturally really get into it and we all have our pet "must haves". I suspect that game makers know what we're all like and don't take too much criticism to heart!

I can see the depth of CMSF already, and expect to be playing it for a long time to come.