Wine Emulation

Dean Fellabaum

Howdy, just bought the game.

Since it isn't graphics-intensive I thought that it would be a good candidate to try to learn how to use Wine in Ubuntu Linux (ibis). No luck. I used Wine v1.0 tried emulating as XP, 98, and a few others. The same thing always happens: The screen with all the pictures shows up with the bugle call, I hit a key to go to the first menu and it locks up. Not all the buttons on the start menu are visible, either: just the three at the top where you pick Solitaire or the other two modes. The mouse cursor still moves.

Huh. So much for learning Wine. I can't even find any advice when I google "Wine TacOps" because there's some annoying FPS called Tactical Ops that fills pages and pages of results- but nothing for TacOps.

Couple of other questions:

The only AH1 that comes with the game is armed with Hellfires. Why no version with TOWs? This would be useful for 1980s battles, and other modern users.

Ther is no "i" version for the AT-12, AT-13, AT-14, AT-15, and AT-16. I assume that this is because the real weapons qualify as "improved warheads" already- right? So if I want to play with the "OPFOR Improved ATGM Warheads" button off I can still kill M1s with my Kornets- right?

Thanks.

Works fine for me.

However, the newest Wine version is broken in some detail I forgot for TacOps. If you know how to compile things from sources I'll send you a known-good one.

However, I never had a wine version broken enough to not at least start up a scenario. What packages, exactly, do you use?

As I said, I am kind of a Linux amateur. I'm running the current LTS version of Ubuntu, which as I recall is v8.04 Hardy Heron, and I do the updates religiously. (I was wrong when I said it was "Ibis.")

I used Synaptic Packet Manager and searched for "wine". I then checked all the appropriate boxes and installed it. This was v1.0.0, so it isn't the latest (which, I think, is v1.0.1). I have not installed any new DLLs- I just have the DLLs or pseudo-DLLs that came with Wine.

I have played around with wineconfig extensively- using the GUI interface to change settings. As I mentioned, TacOps always hangs up after the opening graphic and bugle clarion.

My system is dual-boot (I haven't yet defenestrated completely), so I can still play on XP. I just wanted to learn Wine, since it seems so ubiquitous and useful.

Compiling from source is almost certainly beyond me. Sorry. Heck, I can't even get DropTeam to run in Ubuntu! I'm still trying to puzzle that one out, too, since I also bought it as sort of a learning aid for Linux. But the install instructions are useless. It's three lines!

I guess I'm having the usual Linux neophyte issues...

I just checked. The current GIT version 1.1.15 is still broken WRT dialog boxes such as the one popping up when you place units outside setup boundaries.

1.1.9 seems to work fine. I have done no special configuration in wine and I did not install any DLLs.

I have never seen a Wine version not making it to starting a scenario. Are you sure your sound is working? Does TacOps play the opening sound?

You use i386 (the 32 bit version) of Ubuntu, right?

Hmm. I wonder why Synaptic Package Manager only found v1.0.0? I'm sure I can find a deb package of a later version, though, if you really think it will help.

Anyway, yes I get the first screen with the montage of pictures and the bugle call plays, so the sound appears to work. I then "hit any key" as instructed and I get the opening screen where you can pick single player, etc. But I can't check any boxes. (And, in fact, the other buttons on the bottom of the dialog box aren't there- I forget what they do.) The mouse cursor moves, but the screen is inactive. When I try to quit with the X button on the window frame I get a "this program is not responding" box, and I have to Force Quit to stop the process.

No, I run a 64-bit machine, and installed the 64-bit version of Ubuntu. For what it's worth, TacOps runs fine on my 64-bit version of XP.

Thanks for the help.

Well, that is how I thought I HAVE to start Wine. Here it is:

dean @dean-desktop:~/.wine/drive_c/TacOps$ wine TacOps4.exe

fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on USB Device 0x46d:0x990, disabling mixer

fixme:msg: pack_message msg 14 (WM_ERASEBKGND) not supported yet

fixme:wave:wodPlayer_Reset shouldn't have headers left

I had to edit some spaces into this to avoid having the forum software "help" by turning the first line into an email link and injecting a smiley face into the middle of the third line. I hope you can still use it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, there is the screenshot. This is after the screen with the photomontage, and I "press any key to continue." You can see that those top three buttons are visible, but not the ones at the bottom of the dialog box. The wouse works, but none of the buttons are active. Hope this helps.

Haven't gotten around to trying Wine v1.1.9 yet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Please try wine 1.1.9

I've recently started playing TacOps4 on Wine again. I found that even with the latest versions, 1.1.9 still seems to be better. With some later versions, the window seems to walk around the screen (although that could just be a bad interaction with fvwm1).

Importantly, I found that the synchronous debug channel is needed, otherwise the combat effects markers (e.g., those little S and H symbols) don't show. This does seem to make it slower, but I'd rather have a better idea of what's going on. From the Wine docs, that debug channel replaces the old synchronous option in x11drv.

HTH,

Phil.

This is very weird.

I have that problem that standalone dialog boxes are transparent. In any TacOps version, any wine version. I tend to blame this on the NVidia drivers.

Otherwise it works perfectly. I use fvwm2. I never had any window walk around the screen in FreeBSD or Linux, ever, with any software,