Supply Documentation

It is my understanding that HQ units can "chain" to provide supply. But it seems that if a city is closer then the HQ will draw the lower supply level from the city rather than a nearby HQ.

It seems that HQs get a supply level based on the supply value of whatever city they are closest to and distance doesn't matter as long as they are "within range". I still find it confusing that my HQ draws supply from a "5" city and thus has "8" supply level. It is counter intuitive that an army next to a "5" city gets supply of 4 but an army next to an HQ which is four squares away from a 5 city gets supply of 7.

Mithel, please take a look at the supply formulas and calculations for HQs in the original SC2 Blitzkrieg release as it should give you a better idea of how things work.

Off hand though if we gave HQs the intuitive value of resource supply value - distance then there wouldn't be much of a bonus of having an HQ nearby and it would likely not interest players in using them much on the map. With the current structure it pays to have HQs nearby as it can increase supply in low supply areas etc., i.e. beyond what a nearby city can provide.

I still find it confusing that my HQ draws supply from a "5" city and thus has "8" supply level. It is counter intuitive that an army next to a "5" city gets supply of 4 but an army next to an HQ which is four squares away from a 5 city gets supply of 7.

Hi Mithel

I see what you mean, but as far as supply is concerned the HQ represents the logistical support given to troops. That's why the HQ will give units a higher level of supply than the city alone would give.

Bill

Yes, now that I understand how an HQ boosts supply from a low value city it seems like a good design.

However, I'd like to see the HQ unit information reflect both the level of supply it is producing and the level of supply (distance in action points) that it is from it's supply source. It is very easy to be in supply and move one more square and suddenly have your entire army led by that HQ "out of supply" (even though the army itself may not have moved).