Different Versions

I have browsed the previous 10 odd pages of this forum to try and help me decide what to buy.

A post back in July 08 stated the AI was improved in PDE and there was thoughts (certainly not guarantees) of the older scenarios from SC2 being converted over.

Has this happened?

I am really mostly interested in the original scenarios but would prefer the best AI possible since that will be 98% of my game time.

Finally, if not, I suppose that leaves me with the SC2 and WAW pack to purchase, will the AI be revisted in WAW to bring it to the standard of PDE?

Apologies, disregard above post. Have read some further posts in the PDE forum and aprox the last 10 pages from the Pacific War forum.

Only decision I have now is whether to purchase Pacific 1st or SC2 + WAW bundle 1st

greetings, just to give my point of view, the better option and most advanced rules with extra air-naval settings is pacific theater and so, the pacific campaign is the largest map, added to it, you have available on the scenario bank, at http://www.cmmods.com/ a global war conflict for pacific theater done by nupremal, one of the best modders around, i still not have pacific theater but have all others game and his expansions packs, each have some very interesting scenarios and hipotethical (?) campaigns, but as said, the game engine that most advantage of the game development performance have is pacific theater, for me, is only matter of time that i go with some of my game's budget for it, may be today or tomorrow, just my point of view, as i like the engine at his more upgraded incarnation and will love the global war scenario,

with best regards,

alarick.

Thanks for that Alaric.

I went ahead and bought Pacific last night and from my brief play time with it am not disappointed.

I will look at downloading the mod you refer to.

I suspect I will still end up buying the SC2 + WAW bundle a couple of months down the track still though.

Thanks.

I would say this aspect of the game is very confusing. I even sent an e-mail trying to learn what versions I should purchase. And because my interest was only in the "Global" scenario the response was that I only needed the base "Blitzkrieg" game (I bought the bundle with WaW anyway and I'm very glad I did).

The main selling point to me for the other expansions is the "larger map" yet as far as I can tell *nobody* has made European and Global maps that use the full 256x128 capability of the editor.

From what I've gathered the reason to buy:

PDE - improved scripting / AI (doesn't interest me much because I only play against another human)

Pacific - ??? Better naval?

From what I've gathered the reason to buy:

PDE - improved scripting / AI (doesn't interest me much because I only play against another human)

Pacific - ??? Better naval?

Hi Mithel

PDE introduced some new features that allowed players to make decisions (aptly called Decision Events) so that you can choose between option a) and option B), as well as something called Global Variables which are designed to increase unpredictability in the game.

An example of a decision event (taken from the Pacific game) is whether as Japanese you wish to continue building the Shinano as a battleship, or convert it into a carrier. A simple decision you might think, but if you convert it into a carrier you will still need to fit it out with aircraft, whereas the battleship comes ready for battle. So the decision is one that you need to think carefully about.

Another from the same game, this time an allied one, is whether you wish to take note of Orde Wingate's suggestion to form an elite body of troops (the Chindits) or a regular Corps instead.

Obviously each scenario uses these to different degrees, but they do add something over and above what we had in WAW.

The Pacific introduces some new features like supply centres, the ability to prevent aircraft operating into some countries (i.e. US aircraft cannot operate into China) and best of all, a new carrier model which means that players have to decide whether to put up fighters, a mixture of fighters and bombers, or just bombers. Thus it is now all too possible to have Midway type situations where you launch with the wrong aircraft, making carrier battles not only very exciting, but also very deadly!

I know it's not your interest that PDE and the Pacific both have a better AI, but the improvements to scripting are quite significant too. :)

Bill, yes, this is a very good point. The decision events and scripting are very important and valuable improvements.

In my (humble) opinion, Battlefront would do well to make an official European and an official Global scenario and publicize inclusion of these in "Pacific". I would encourage them also to clearly document these sorts of changes and not just say "the naval game is better".