Recommendation for new graphics card

I'm thinking about getting a new graphics card for my computer. Since CM is one of the major games I play, I was hoping to get some input on which cards to avoid and which ones may be more compatible with the game.

I'm running a Pentium 3, 1 GB. I have a 32 MB, ATI Radeon. This is at least 3 years old, so I'm sure there are better cards out there. (I'm bogging down on bigger scenarios...which I love to play)

Thanks

I assume it shouldn't be too expensive. Do you want something fitting your current computer or should it be ready in case you get a new CPU+mainboard?

Shoot one of the NVidia Gefore Ti 4400 or 4600 on ebay if you don't have a problem with ebaying.

I would avoid the newer ForeForce FX 5200 you can buy new all over the place. They are often slower than the Ti 4400, not to mention the 4600. The only advantage is that they are DirectX 9.x compatible and hence would run some of the newer game that require DX9. However, the card is so slow that you probably won't run those games anyway (even if you had a fast CPU).

If you have more money, a FX 5600 or higher number should be fine, it is just the 5200 which is a ripoff.

Don't underestimate that the CPU needs to feed the graphics card so don't expect magic. But a Ti 4400-4600 will be a good fit.

Don't even think about getting an ATI card, IMHO.

If you get a very new card make sure the AGP slot (voltage) is compatible!

• 2 weeks later...

If you are going for an Nvidia Geforce 4 series of cards, the Ti4200 is far cheaper and benchmarks pretty close to the others and is over clocking friendly though do so at your own risk if at all as it voids warranty.

I'm running an ATI 9700 pro and it's fantastic though dated at this point.

ATI will not disply fog in Combat Mission, but but 9700pro has better over all image quality than the last gen Nvidia cards.

The new cards are pretty close but the edge goes to Nvidia, though the 6800 ultra takes up two slots.

If all you play is Combat Mission, the Geforce 4 ti series will be fine.

RedWolf, the Geforce 6800 gt would fit in the mobo, the problem would be that the 6800gt requires a 380 watt power supply.

It would not be overkill either, it would be over spending as a 1 gig cpu with I assume his PC is equiped with limited sdram combined with a lower rated front side bus/ dated chipset means that the CPU would not have the computing power to feed the card all the instructions it is demanding, so in essence his whole PC would be a bottleneck for that particular videocard.

[ September 30, 2004, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Tim The Enchanter ]

In case other people are looking for a new graphic card, here is an update.

I just reviewed the available options and decided on a 5900XT which is sold around $180.

The 5700 ultra sells at about the same price but is substancially slower, at least more more complex games. The 5900XT hat lower clock speed but twice any many pipelines and other updates. I found a number of reviews showing it to be much faster than the 5700u, and the advantage gets bigger with more resolution and AA turned on.

The only reason to get a 5700 is that you can get 256 MB variants, not 5700 ultra in that case. That would be substancially slower, but if texture memory is what you want you might consider. I did not consider it because I estimate that this card will be too slow to run any game actually using 256 MB. For example, Doom3 with high quality settings will use 256 MB texture memory but this card is too slow in other areas to do this, at least at higher resolutions.

The cheapest 6800 sells at $280, $100 more than the 5900XT, with 128 MB. I was tempted but I preferred to blow the $100 elsewhere. The reason is that for a 6800 I would like to have 256 MB which would be $200 more than the 5900XT. Also, the 6800 needs the external power which means it is a power hog. Since this is for a permanently running computer I didn't like to see that. The 5900XT is running with reduced clockspeed and newest FX core which should be good for low power consumption.

[ October 01, 2004, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Redwolf ]

I made a mistake in saying the 6800GT requires a 380w power supply, it requires a 350 watt minimum.

I think the card is fantastic, I even get fog back for CM.

Remember, don't skimp on the power supply to save a few bucks, not all are equal. I would take a quality 350 watt over a crappy 400 something watt power supply any day.

Antec for instance makes good power supplies, I have a silent 380 watt Antec that runs great.