Can you recommend a good LCD for 1024x768?

Lawyer

I bought my daughter an Apple iBook that is fixed at a single screen resolution of 1024x768. That image looks great on its 12" screen, but it will only connect to a larger desktop monitor at its mirror image of 1024x768.

I would like to get a nice LCD desktop monitor for it, but the ones above 15" screen size are all native 1280x1024. From what I read, a 1024x768 image projected on them would be too fuzzy for her homework and media programs like MS Office, etc. Is that correct?

Ideally, I would like to buy a 17" LCD display, but will consider a nice 15" LCD if that is the only satisfactory solution for decent text and graphics display at 1024x768.

Can you recommend an LCD that would suit my needs?

Thanks for any help,

Jake

Thanks a lot, Wicky. But the spanning hack site link is only a forum. It never really tells me what the hack program does. I can't find the home site.

Apparently the hack works on new iBooks like mine, so I would like to understand what it does and how it works. Where can I find that info?

Thanks,

Jake

The 2nd link I posted is the spanning hacks developer‘s page - Check 3/4 way down till you get to “Original Article”.

Ever wondered why your new iBook (16MB VRAM) can't display an extended desktop on an external screen even though it has a Radeon chip that does support this feature?

Well, for some reason Apple decided to lock this function.

The good news is that I've been working on a solution for some time now.

At first I discovered how to enable an extended desktop (also called screen spanning or dual head mode) with a trick in Mac OS 9.

This, however, didn't satisfy me and many others for too long because I like to use Mac OS X. So I went at it and found a solution.

Right at the top there are links: “Want to download the latest version of Screen Spanning Doctor (v0.3.2) or visit the forum? “

I recommend you read through the ibook forums to thoroughly research the pros & cons of the hack (i.e. the post by ‘mapski9’ 2nd from bottom)

There is also a useful utility, SwitchRes, which helps access all the resolutions of your displays.

But be warned it can be tricky to set up!

Originally posted by Lawyer:

Thanks a lot, Wicky. But the spanning hack site link is only a forum. It never really tells me what the hack program does. I can't find the home site.

Apparently the hack works on new iBooks like mine, so I would like to understand what it does and how it works. Where can I find that info?

Thanks,

Jake

[ October 28, 2004, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

Dual-head mode on one video card will usually damage 3D performance severely.

However, I would be surprised if you couldn't make the iMac switch from the internal to an extrnal monitor and then use a higher resolution than the (no deactivated) internal display has.

[ October 29, 2004, 05:58 AM: Message edited by: Redwolf ]