The Battle of Faid Pass sound

rodin the Brave

Hi all,

I just watched the video's of "The Battle of Faid Pass" what i noticed is that there are almost no sound (just gunfire).

This makes a battle very static and unpersonal (and a bit boring).

I think that by adding more sound effects like: men shouting order, screaming and battle cries, sounds of boots running, clatter of cans and equipment, falling debris, sound of the wind. etc. would really get a player much more involved!!!!!

regards rodin

They did this with the CMAK, CMBB series, you could hear the wind, and men talking to each other. Every time you gave a command they would say something in their language. Russian, Hungarian, Italian, German, Romanian, British, Yanks (English american style) etc. When you were viewing next to vehicles you could hear either truck, jeep or Tank sounds... landscape you again could hear wind, and I believe even birds. I have not scene the latest videos but your right, without background noise, it would not seem imersive at all... but just bland and dull.

Actually the lack of sound is a problem of the video recording rather than the game. TOW2 (just like TOW) comes with full and rich background sound effects. When recording the game with Fraps somehow the background sounds were muffled. I suspect a problem with one of the sound channels during recording. The video/audio compression doesn't help, either. Sorry about that. I actually myself only noticed the less then stellar sound that was recorded after the videos were published. Trust me, the full game will blow you away :) and it has advanced sound support, too.

Good to know, I had a bad time with TOW1 and am waiting for TOW2. I just hope it is as good as the CMAK, and CMBB games, those were awesome and Battlefront did a great job. I was disapointed with the limited vehicles, and units in TOW1, and did not like having to get things from moders. thats why I still play CMAK, and CMBB because the game itself offers so much without having to mod things.

GhostRider, TOW2 is developed by the same guys who did TOW1. Personally, I liked TOW1 a lot and TOW2 is even better because of a streamlined interface (e.g. to name just one thing: a new selection of commands including things like a "recon" mode), even better graphics and sound, and generally fluid gameplay. However, if you didn't like TOW1 you may want to first check out the TOW2 demo before making a purchase. TOW2 is more like Close Combat in 3D than CMAK or CMBB.

Good to know. That probably explains alot since I for some reason always imgagined a better graphical game of CMAK and CMBB. Initially I guess I thought thats what TOW was to be, an upgraded new platform of the stellar games like CMAK and CMBB. TOW2 is very pretty, and I did not know they were aiming for the close combat genere.

I do like what they have done with the schock Force campaign, adding the Marines, and British. I hope they continue adding to that series as it is excellent. Maybe they can try again for those of us who absolutely love the CMAK and CMBB style of play, better graphics but with all the same depth.

Thanks for all of the great things you have done C1 and Battlefront. :)