PBEM -- How???

Rik81

Okay, I did find where VISTA hides the incoming/outgoing files for this game. However, I still can't figure out HOW TO PLAY. I sent my opponent an initial file from my "out" box. Received his back and put it in the "in" box. Started the game. Only choice seemed to be Load Saved Game, so did that, it asked me for a new password, which I gave, and THAT WAS ALL. Couldn't get into the game to move, or see any type of replay, etc.

Can someone please enlighten me on how this system is supposed to work?

You will get to play on the next turnaround at the latest. Normally when you start a game, it asks for you to set your password, then your opponent sets his password, and then you get to deploy and so on. Sometimes though it just saves first without asking for your password, so there is one extra step - in your case, if this is one of those, you will get to play next time you receive the file. This seems to be completely scenario dependent, and even then happens to one starter side but not the other. What was the name of the scenario you're playing?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem with the PBEM. Starting up the Marines PBEM seems to be a different process as the Strike Force PBEM. I figured that they would just use the same module. But the process is definitely out of order. Has anybody taken a look at this? I can't be the only one with this issue. I may put it on hold until it is either rectified or patched again. : (

Thanks

There's no difference between vanilla SF and Marines module, and it works as it should. If a scenario has early intel for one side, then the opponent must deploy first so that the side that has early intel can use that intel as basis for his deployment and planned barrages. That's why it doesn't always follow the standard sequence. Heard this from Charles.

Sur vey: Most likely you have been sent the wrong file. Here's what I do: name the turn Whoever Vs Mark 001. Now I know that the file "whoever" sends me will be file 002 and will always be an even number ;)

While the PBEM system may feel odd to begin with it DOES work. Please give it another try. I'd be glad to help you get on track. So if you want to send me your email address I'll send you a setup and help get you started. Use the email address in my forum profile.

CM PBEM is just the best way to WarGame. I still play guys I started with 10 years ago. So please give it another try.

My friend and I just started our 2nd PBEM game. He sent me the initial file, all I was allowed to do was select a "new password" and return the file to him. He did whatever and sent back to me. Again, all I was able to do was enter a "new password", which of course I used the same one. E-mailed back to him. This time on his return file, I was FINALLY given the Scenario description and allowed to do a "set-up." Moral of story: Just keep plugging away, it comes.