Schrullenhaft i need your help with CMBB CTD! ;-)

Stixx

Ok, i've been playing CMBB demo since 1 hour after the release and never had a problem with it, everything seems to run PERFECT!.

BUT... i played my first TCP/IP game today and on about turn 7-8 after the first piece of action things started going down hill.

Things like instant CTD's, system freezes, dropouts, the works. I never once lost connection to the net either did my opponent. For about 5-6 minutes we tried connecting 5-6 times and every time i crashed. We didn't even get to click go, it would normally crash within 8-10 seconds of joining the game.

I tried hosting, he tried hosting, nothing worked, it was completley FUBAR...

System specs.

Gigabyte MoBo (Can't remember make)

AMD Duron 1200

384Mb SD Ram (3 banks 128)

SB Live

Geforce 2 MX/200 32Mb card

Windows 98 SE

Direct X 8.1

Everything has always run fine in CMBO and CMBB demo until now.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Stix

Each time you tried to play via TCP/IP was it the Citadel scenario ? Were all these attempts at replaying the crashed scenario or were some of them scratch restarts ?

I know the crashing will happen for a number of users if someone click on the bailed crew (German crews have been the ones reported and it could be from either side clicking on the unit).

Have you tried to play the Yelnia Stare scenario via TCP/IP ?

Again, try another scenario via TCP/IP. I have no idea how pervasive the effects of the 'bailed crew' bug are in regards to TCP/IP games. While referencing the unit in memory it may crash.

Again, this bug doesn't exist in the full version. Something got accidentally changed in the Demo code that caused this (and it doesn't seem to happen for everybody, but it does happen for a lot of people).

This is a different crew bug from the one in CMBO. It causes crashes in solitaire play and it may be responsible for some TCP/IP problems here.

This bug doesn't exist in the Beta and hence the final version. It was accidentally introduced into the Demo code. Apparently it has been found and fixed and a patch will be released for the Demo sometime in the near future. I assume it should address some of the TCP/IP problems here.

{{{EDIT: I just found out about the "click o' death" from some other threads, so this post is more in the nature of informational for CMBB tech guys, than a question.}}}

I am also encountering a problem with bailed crews, but it is not related to their being captured (at least my bailed crews don't appear to be captured).

In both Citadel and Yelnia, when I have tanks on my side, some of the crews, upon bailing, will appear with corrupted bmp's (medals all over their legs, etc), but are still recognizable as crews. When I try to click on the crew, the game crashes to desktop every time. Actually, since i'm running XP, the game just freezes and I can ctrl-alt-delete to suspend to desktop where I see a error dialog box saying 'CMBB has caused a crash, do you want to send it to microsoft', yada yada ya. For a while I didn't realize the bailed crews were the source of the problem then I finally identified them as the ones that appear with mismapped bmps. Note that the bug might also appear with crews of crew-served weapons, but I haven't observed this. Sometimes when i'm group-selecting I accidentally hit a 'bad' crew and it crashes. Not all crews experience this, just some. When I start again from autosave I can avoid crashes by never selecting the known 'bad' crews.

Everything else is perfect with the game (i've played all 3 backwards and forwards several times).

system:

XP (no sp1)

Asus P4T533 mb + 2.26 P4, 2x256mb 32-bit samsung 1066 mhz rdram, Visiontek Gforce3 (nvidia 30.82 drivers), CM8738-DX sound, FastTrack133 ATA-RAID, 2x120mb WD in RAID1. Yes, CM runs REAL SMOOTH on this system smile.gif

[ September 11, 2002, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Renaud ]