Snafu

Just played the SNAFU scenario, near the end of the Marines campaign. Fantastic battle on a truly superb map. Mega-tricky with loads of very nicely set encounters and ambushes. It's the first fully combined arms mission I've experienced, with army plus marines and various assets. And though it's a huge map with very many units, performance was smooth throughout. Rock on!

Yeah, I'm really impressed with the campaign overall with 1.11, especially now the slideshow bug and Route Tiger/Eagle thing has been eradicated. Just about every battle is a major challenge, with a lot of variation between each. Pathfinding is much improved, infantry respond much more realistically, and the AI generally makes a very tough opponent.

****Slight Spoiler****

SNAFU's great because there are effectively four separate skirmishes going on, in different terrain types. A couple evolve into major armoured confrontations, and others involve some serious 'hunt the hidden inf and atgms' tactics. And yes, I lost three Abrams and two more were in a sorry condition by the end (and I have to admit this was with the advantage of reverting to earlier saves a couple of times). I play WEGO, so I got to replay each skirmish as I chose. Probably in RT I'd've had a lot more trouble locating some of those hidden enemy units.

First time I'd encountered T90s too. Great fun.

Flanker, you're right, but I didn't mind. It seemed reasonable that more stuff would be rolling down the road. *

Slight Spoiler*****

I didn't need the last two arrivals (engineers and heavy infantry weapons) to get a win, but as they came late in the day, when the battle was near won, that didn't matter (although I didn't know I was close to victory until I got a surrender soon after their arrival). The fighting up to that point had been fierce and very challenging. Some of the Syrian Airborne inf were very deadly indeed.

I just played that one for the first time (now all the campaign works for me with 1.11!) and found it really tricky. Too much going on for real-time play! Very good scenario though.

*obligatory spoiler warning*

Among the many Abrams that ended up wrecked, two were destroyed by frontal fire from T-90s; then there was another one that I watched take a load of hits from tanks and missiles and was only m-killed, which was impressive; it spent the whole battle as prime target, and probably saved a lot of other vehicles just by being there. I won in the end, and it even called it a major victory despite 100 Blue KIA... ouch.