'Soft' factors for SOF scenarios

'Soft' factors (experience, motivation, etc.) for SOF scenarios

I'm interested in creating reasonably realistic SOF scenarios, partly because of their relatively small scale and partly because of the high-quality Blue forces involved and also because of the interesting-ness of their missions. In setting the 'soft' factors (as I believe they're called) for Blue, I'm inclined to make all the actual SOF guys Elite with Extreme (or higher) motivation. But is this reasonably accurate? Are SOF operators truly and consistently elite? Would it be more realistic for units meant to simulate SOF troops to have skill set between Veteran and Elite and motivation set between High and Fanatic? Also, should there be a minimum leadership rating (not less than +1, for example)?

It would be very cool to have some demonstration scenarios which show the effects of all these morale and leadership variables in real life game situations. The problem is the unintentional bias when utilizing hotseat that can be introduced by the player. Also, the map layout is going to influence the outcome unless it is effectively a pool table :)

It would be great if both sides could be scripted for AI instead of just the computer player.

Check out my mission "Afghani Stan". It's a special forces mission. I have them set as elite, and I think that is about right (they are!). Play it and/or check it out in design mode to see what you would like to do differently.

I really like the small sf missions. You really feel like you have control of your guys. I had plans to make more but got caught up with the mod manager and life in general. If you could make another good one, I would love to play it!

• 4 months later...

I like the smaller operation / infantry sceanrios as well -

I think it would be great if BFC allowed for more tweaking of "soft" factors for indiviudal SOF type units. Perhaps allowing a designer to increase SA/spotting factors for a given unit....or allow for more fire accuracy (in CQCombat). Even above what seems to be for "elite" units as is now.

I'm not talkign rambo style or anything foolish like that. But there is no question tip of the spear SOF shooters today do posses incredible skill sets with regard to SA, fire accuracy and morale / steady-ness under fire.

My only argument with the extreme setting is I feel it should be reserved for radical/fundamentalist crazies. Elite yes for the SOF, extreme motivation though? High I am sure, but I think a crazy insurgent would have a higher motivation due to his radical beliefs that he lives and dies by over the softer elite soldier. This is totally up for debate and these are just my thoughts.

Fanatic (the highest motivation level) means, among other things, that a unit will not retreat. This is appropriate for a thoroughly indoctrinated and ideologically motivated insurgent, who might be reasoning that, rather than retreat, he might as well die fighting so as to sooner attain the reward he believes is awaiting him after death. Assigning Fanatic motivation to an SOF operator would be inappropriate because, for one thing, this would short-circuit his wisdom about when it's better to flee than to stand and fight. Extreme (the second-highest motivation setting) would, in my view, be much more appropriate, since this would make the unit as highly motivated as possible while still having judgment enough to know when he should retreat.

As per Clavicula Nox's input, I suppose this discussion can be opened up to encompass what the USMC calls "special operations capable" forces. This would include true SOF units (Green Berets, SEALs, MARSOC, etc.) but also units which fall under the USSOCOM umbrella (such as Rangers, 160th SOAR, etc.) and perhaps even Airborne... and the British Army's various SOC forces (SAS, Royal Marines, Parachute Regiment, Pathfinders, etc.). :D

Good points regarding "extreme Vs Fanantic". However, I'm not certain that extreme level shouldn't be tweaked slightly higher though. In terms of not retreating / push forward.

Though, more so, I believe elite units should have their attributes tweaked higher with regards to accuracy in shooting (especially CQC), speed and general situational awareness.

Fanatic (the highest motivation level) means, among other things, that a unit will not retreat. This is appropriate for a thoroughly indoctrinated and ideologically motivated insurgent, who might be reasoning that, rather than retreat, he might as well die fighting so as to sooner attain the reward he believes is awaiting him after death. Assigning Fanatic motivation to an SOF operator would be inappropriate because, for one thing, this would short-circuit his wisdom about when it's better to flee than to stand and fight. Extreme (the second-highest motivation setting) would, in my view, be much more appropriate, since this would make the unit as highly motivated as possible while still having judgment enough to know when he should retreat.

As per Clavicula Nox's input, I suppose this discussion can be opened up to encompass what the USMC calls "special operations capable" forces. This would include true SOF units (Green Berets, SEALs, MARSOC, etc.) but also units which fall under the USSOCOM umbrella (such as Rangers, 160th SOAR, etc.) and perhaps even Airborne... and the British Army's various SOC forces (SAS, Royal Marines, Parachute Regiment, Pathfinders, etc.). :D

Okay, that's a good argument.