System Reboots when I run CMBO or CMBB

I just installed both programs last night and have been having the same problem with both. At random times during game play the whole computer just shuts off and reboots. Im pretty sure its some kind of driver problem but I have tried checking everything I can think of to no avail.

I have an Amd 1.4mhz processor

1024mb ram ( I have ran diagnostic software for it to make sure my ram was not faulty)

geoforce 4 ti4200 with the latest drivers (4403?)

I updated to directx 9 but problem persisted.

I also dont think its a heat problem.

The game runs fine when it does run just have this reboot anomaly. graphics and framerate are good.

I also play everquest which is extremely demanding on hardware resources and memory and it runs fine.

Any help/advice is appreciated and if any more info is needed pease let me know. Thanks... Bob

It is odd the game does not force reboot while playing EQ.

You may want to install the newer drivers from www.guru3d.com. Go to downloads, then Nvidia. Make sure you remove your current driver before installing this new one (44.10 Detonator).

If 44.10 does not resolve your problem, try playing the game with the computer casing off. This will help diagnosis if an overheating problem exists.

Btw, I presume you've done the usual scandisk/defrag/virus disabling/etc...

-Patrick

Thanks. Ill try the new Vid Drivers. I did try the case off trick , even put a fan on it just to be sure but it did not help.

Also I am using windows xp . I failed to mention that in my initial post.

Also did not try antivirus disable. will try that as well.

New video drivers/via 4in 1 do not seem to help.

Also just want to stress that when the game runs it seems to run well.( Was able to play all the way through tutorial and did not crash till post action portion). just crashes at random but mosty in the first few turns or right at start up.

Do you think A bad cdrom drive could cause this problem?

[ June 01, 2003, 02:23 AM: Message edited by: 107thCav ]

I dont have it overclocked. everything is set up in a standard config. I will try and double check on the overheating, but I would think that Everquest would cause the same crash if this was the culprit. I can play Eq for hours at a time and never have this problem. The only thing I really see different between the two games is that CM makes use of my cdrom drive. I have tried using my cd-r drive but same problem occurs.

Thanks again for the replies. I am really dieing to play this game )

BIOS UPGRADE DID NOT HELP. :(

I just upgraded my bios and was able to play through the tutorial with no reboot.Hopefully I have this thing licked. If not will get back to yas.(fingers crossed)

Thank you for all the help guys!

[ June 04, 2003, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: 107thCav ]

One of my friends showed me how to disable the reboot on system error option in XP.

Now I still get the blue screen of death but I did find out that my system was rebooting due to a bugcheck most likely related to a device driver!

Windows support site offered no further info however. Any Ideas?

I had the same problem a month or so ago (mainly with CMBO and CMBB), it looks like it was caused by overheating. In my case I appear to have fixed it by cleaning out the fluff and dust that had accumulated in the vents on the PC case. If that doesn't work try running with the case removed - that should fix any overheating in the short term, although if it does you may want to look at replacing the internal fan.

Edit to add: the CM games do seem to hammer the CPU quite hard, which may explain why you have no problems with Everquest, I could run other stuff like MS Flight Sim .

[ June 08, 2003, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: Firefly ]

Just adding to Firefly's post .....

A friend of mine recently had similar problems, it only started to happen after he had relocated his PC inside a 'PC cabinet' -- the problem ?

....OVERHEATING ! ... but not the main CPU, it was the graphics card getting too hot !

Keep us posted.

Those Athlon C's were hot runnin' monkeys. I had a 1.4 MHz like yours for quite some time, and now I'm trying to keep it cool in my brothers' system, which is in an enclosed space.

If you live near a Fry's Electronics store (or www.frys.com), they have Cooler Master's HAC-V81 on sale for $9.99 - Beefy heatsink w/copper base, and adjustable fan speed (external knob) from 2800 - 5000 rpm, depending on your cooling/loudness requirements. On my mildly overclocked XP2400+ (I'm only running 166 MHz FSB, at 2.1 GHz) @ 3800 rpm fan speed, I've never seen a CPU temp higher than 38 degrees C. :cool:

Hpt. Lisse

[ June 13, 2003, 04:43 AM: Message edited by: Hpt. Lisse ]

You can look at the CPU temp in by entering BIOS setup. You should see it there. AMD says 65C(?) is smoke city - check at their web site for exact specs. I bought a machine in the winter and never noticed the heat, in following summer it started giving me problems. The slime dog I bougth it from put in in a very small case - no fans front or rear. Not even any openings for a rear fan. Also the PwrSup was about 3/4 of an inch from the CPU heat sink. The cure was a new case. A bigger case moved the PwrSup up 6 inches and one fan front sucking and 1 fan rear blowing. I'm a happy wargamer.

I seem to have found the problem.

Drivers from my onboard sound(disabled on the board and in the bios) were causing a conflict with my soundblaster pci512 sound card. I booted up in safe mode and was able to uninstall them and have been crash free so far. Thanks!