Ammo distribution error still present

c3k

Gents,

I reported on this a while ago and thought it'd been fixed. If it is meant to go into v1.11, my apologies.

I had a squad low on ammo. It had two or three ammo bars left (USMC 13 man squad). I split off an assault team (5 men) and ran them to an ammo truck. I loaded them up with 2000 rounds of 5.56. Full bar.

I ran the team back to the squad. They rejoined. A turn or two later, I selected the fully reformed squad. It showed all 13 men and a full ammo bar. Excellent. Time to attack a building. I split off the assault team again. They still had a full ammo bar. Great. The remaining squad members only had 2 ammo bars.

Obviously the ammo did not get distributed.

Edited to add: savegame available.

Comments?

Regards,

Ken

Angryson,

Your numbers are what I'd come up with as well. The question remains, why would one team keep all the ammo, such that they're represented in-game with a full ammo bar while noone else in the squad gets an increase in available ammo? Keeping 2,000 rounds for 5 men leaves (giving extra to the SAW) about 7 magazines each plus over 1,000 rounds for the M249.

Clearly that shouldn't happen. I thought the game would level the ammo throughout the squad.

Perhaps there's a time delay function involved.

Regards,

Ken

This issue of ammo non-redistribution seems all the more odd to me because the CM:SF manual, on page 75 (of the PDF) under "Acquire", states (italics mine): "After nearly an hour of continuous combat, the infantry platoon is running out of ammo. We split the squads into teams and order them into the Strykers one by one to grab fresh ammo." I've tried this send-a-couple-guys-back-to-the-nearest-Stryker-or-Humvee-to-get-more-ammo thing and likewise found that it's as if only the guys who grab the additional ammo get to use it.

I've run a bit more testing. The lenght of time the resupplied team spends with the squad does not seem to matter. I put the squad off in a quiet spot, no targets, no incoming, no suppression, no morale effects: no ammo distribution occurred.

I terminated the test after 7 full minutes of non-distribution.

Regards,

Ken

Yes, and I would like to see a way to get/give ammo from any unit to any other unit. There should be no reason why a two man unit can't run down to the ammo truck, grab some 7.62, and run it up to the 240 teams, who are already in place with weapon deployed. Or, say, a beat up squad should be able to hand off their at4's to fresh reinforcements.

Whenever I need ammo and it's in the wrong hands, all I can think about is that squirrelly guy in Saving Private Ryan, who just sat there shaking while his buddies needed the ammo.

Regarding ammo, I'd also like a choice while "Acquiring" to take ALL or MAX. Or maybe even assault load, anti-tank load, etc.

Also, I'd like my ammo count in numbers rather than a bar.

Just my 2 cents.

theFightingSeabee

I fully agree. Numbers instead of bars would help a lot, especially when playing with uncons. They get really few ammo, and I never know how long will it last. Numbers would make things easier.

Acquire should be a targetted order. You would choose acquire, target a vehicle or a squad, and get two windows instead of one. Each window should show each squad's inventory, so you could hand over items or leave them. Another addition could be take standard/full load buttons. They would make things faster if you dont really care what exactly the team takes.

Sometimes it would be helpful if you could take ammo in smaller numbers. I had situations when marine two man platoon command had to take a 1000 rounds, becouse it was impossible to take less due to large amount of ammo inside vehicle.

One question. Why there are no hand grenades on transport vehicles? Is it army/marine procedure not to have some extra hand grenades on vehicles?

Regards,

Tomek

One question. Why there are no hand grenades on transport vehicles? Is it army/marine procedure not to have some extra hand grenades on vehicles?

That was actually something the 507th Maintenance Co. was criticized for, having all their pyro boxed and locked in one of the Humvees instead of distributed out among the other vehicles. It's probably in interest of not having some utter laundry list of crap to take when you hit the Acquire button.

the CM:SF manual, on page 75 (of the PDF) under "Acquire", states (italics mine): "After nearly an hour of continuous combat, the infantry platoon is running out of ammo. We split the squads into teams and order them into the Strykers one by one to grab fresh ammo."

On further pondering, I think I understand what this actually means: Split the squads into teams (so that there isn't a sudden gap in your line), send each and all of the teams back one at a time to replenish ammo.

Regarding the display of ammo supply as colored bars: Is this proportional or absolute? I agree that a more exact display of ammo supply (if only in terms of magazines/belts) would be better.

The useful of grenades (especially in MOUT) makes me wish the supply of such was not limited to whatever your troops have at the start of a scenario.