FOW and AI

Page 34 of the manual states "In solitaire games against the computer, fog of war will provide the computer opponent a slight advantage in addition to the game difficulty settings."

Does this mean the AI plays the game in a normally FOW off mode? Or is this slight advantage due to the fact a computer opponent never 'forgets' where things are during the turn, or something else entirely?

I have been able to 'suprise' the AI, so I am inclined to think the AI does play with FOW on, but perhaps it's just a randomized chance of a normally unseen enemy given an advantage.

On the flip side, I have also experienced a camping but not silent running sub 3 tiles SW from the port of Honolulu being discovered out of the blue (several turns into Op Z) and not knowing how it was picked up. Intel upgrade would be very low for the US...I sure wouldn't be betting on the 2% chance. :)

Stitch, I believe the note on page 34 is a typo or at least I should say misleading. For some background this manual has seen many revisions as it is at its core based on the original SC1 manual and having been built up over the years to reflect all the accumulated changes there are unfortunately bound to be a few inconsistencies.

I'm trying to remember what this may have reflected as there have been a lot of changes, but it does not in any way mean that the AI does not play with FoW in mind. Generally the AI plays under the same rules of FoW as a human player does, i.e. it does not know of any unit positions in advance of its movements and will of course be surprised if it encounters a hidden movement etc.

But that being said, it does, for example via the AI scripts, know a few things whether there is FoW or not simply to help it along. For example, the AI scripts can be coded to let the AI know if an OFFENSIVE is a good idea depending on how many enemy units are near a particular resource etc. or whether it should be canceled but when it comes time to move or attack it plays under the same FoW rules as I described above.

Hopefully this makes sense :)

Hubert

On the flip side, I have also experienced a camping but not silent running sub 3 tiles SW from the port of Honolulu being discovered out of the blue (several turns into Op Z) and not knowing how it was picked up. Intel upgrade would be very low for the US...I sure wouldn't be betting on the 2% chance. :)

I would think that it is the result of an intelligence report, as funnily enough, I've had an intelligence report of one just a little further away from Honolulu in a pbem game I'm playing, and we're at about the same stage of the game that you are.

Hopefully I can sink it before my opponent reads this thread! :)

John, there was always code to have the Destroyers chase subs on Convoy lanes that are set to 'Hunt' (much like a Human player would) but that is pretty much it.

If you have an example of where it is clear that Destroyers are purposefully lurking around subs even under FoW I'd be happy to see it as otherwise I'm going to guess this is honestly largely coincidental.