Combat Mission on new PC

Is there any way to get Combat Mission working on my newer PC? I have Vista installed and a 8800 GTX running. I want to play the Game (I never played it before because im new in the Combat Mission Games. I bought Shock Force and now I tried the Demo of Combat Mission but it doesnt work. I read in the internet that the game isnt running on newer systems. Maybe there is a way???!

Hi

It is perfectly possible to play CMBB CMAK and CMBO on a PC running Vista with a DX10 card such as the NVIDIA 8000 series you have.

Here are some bits from the forums:

These are my settings. Bear in mind that I have very little clue as to what they are and it may be possible to optimise further, especially on the speed issue.

Anisotrpic filtering: 16x

Antialiasing gamma : on

" mode: override

" setting: 16xQ

" transparency: supersampling

Conformant texture clamp : use open GL spec

Error reporting: on

Force minimaps: billinear

Multi display: compatabilty perf. mode

Stereo: use onboard DIN

Texture filtering Anisotropic : on

" " Negative Loss bias: allow

" " Quality: performance

" " trillinear: on

Threaded option: on

Triple Buffer: on

Verical Sync: force off

By the way, if you set AA and AF to 2x you should notice huge improvements in framerates and still have some visual delights.

Or

[MyIS] Buffpuff

Member # 12599

- posted 25 April, 2008 10:29 Profile for [MyIS] Buffpuff Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote Call it nostalgia but after years of putting CMBO to rest I decided to re-install this masterpiece back on to my hard drive. Hell I don't even remember what I was running as to hardware when I got this game years ago. But I ran into a problem of getting the dreaded "exception" error and not being able to see the load screen. I decided to try running the .exe file under a compatibility mode (using Windows 2000 as the selected mode) and viola...I'm running CMBO with a DX10 card and the latest drivers without a hitch.

Here's my specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz

2 MB Corsair DDR2 800 RAM

BFG GeForce 8800GT with 169.25 NVIDIA drivers

Hope this helps some of you who may be running into compatibility problems

rune

Member # 821

- posted 25 April, 2008 12:34 Profile for rune Email rune Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote I am running CMBB and CMAK with Vista 64, by using the 174.74 beta drivers and setting AA to 4X with override software settings. I have an NVidia 8800GTX 512 memory. The background do NOT get messed up, but scrolling around the map is slower then normal, but does work.

Rune

I recently built a new computer and installed Vista Home Premium(32bit). The system is an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.4GHz with 4GB RAM and the GeForce 8400 GS card with 256K. This video card had worked fine for all four Combat Mission games in my previous computer under Windows XP. However, on initial load of Vista, CMSF and CMBO worked great but CMBB and CMAK had cascading video in the background and were painfully jerky and slow. I read the numerous posts about Vista and NVidia and resigned myself to tweaking the NVidia Control Panel settings.

Eureka! Setting the Antiailasing mode to "Override any application setting" eliminated the adverse video effects! The two games are still somewhat slow and jerky so I continue to monkey with Anisotropic Filtering, Antialiasing-Gamma Correction, Antialiasing settings between 2x and 16x, and Antialiasing-Transparancy settings.

Has anyone got the magic combo for re-gaining smooth program action?

Yeah, making the dual partition is not so bad once it is setup. Sure it is a little bit of a pain but too be honest after all these years I have yet to find a suitable replacement for the CMxx games. I love great graphics and sound but for me even with the way outdated presentation I still can have a great time with CM, especialy CMBB.

Fingers croseed that CMx2 WW2 will be the one, but it will be a super long time before we get CMx2 Eastern Front... so I think CMBB will be around for at least 1-2 more years.