Fire on the move inside buildings

I really like the new TACAI with the added feature where troops will fire on the move when they come under enemy fire. I've seen it effectively suppress enemy troops and give the attackers some kind of chance when on the move. Granted, it's not foolproof, but helpful to avoid micromanagement.

The only problem I see now is that code logic seems to turn off as soon as the units move into buildings. If anything this tendency should be ramped up when in tight positions. Instead soldiers seem more intent on finding the best window position and completely disregarding the enemy units just a few metres away. Even more frustrating is when they think buddy aid is the most important consideration at the moment while under fire and they get shot in the back.

If soldiers will fight on the move while on open ground, why would they suspend this tendency as soon as they hit the door of an occupied building? It makes the assault and hunt kind of useless into buildings as is stands now.

I really like the new TACAI with the added feature where troops will fire on the move when they come under enemy fire. I've seen it effectively suppress enemy troops and give the attackers some kind of chance when on the move. Granted, it's not foolproof, but helpful to avoid micromanagement.

The only problem I see now is that code logic seems to turn off as soon as the units move into buildings. If anything this tendency should be ramped up when in tight positions. Instead soldiers seem more intent on finding the best window position and completely disregarding the enemy units just a few metres away. Even more frustrating is when they think buddy aid is the most important consideration at the moment while under fire and they get shot in the back.

If soldiers will fight on the move while on open ground, why would they suspend this tendency as soon as they hit the door of an occupied building? It makes the assault and hunt kind of useless into buildings as is stands now.

Absolutely agreed with you. I'm a pretty aggressive MOUT player, sending infantry in when there are still enemies alive. It is not uncommon for me to see a soldier brush elbows with an enemy as he finds his perfect spot, pause, then turns around and finally decides to shoot the guy.

Except by then he's usually already dead. Along with the rest of the squad in most cases. I don't get....apparently the fire on the move logic doesn't apply once they enter buildings.

This makes the attackers job a lot harder. I'm not expecting one guy to move into the room and mow down all opposition like a cheesy war flick, but I would hope they would at least try to defend themselves.

It looks to me like some kind of "troop positioning" routine kicks in when soldiers go into buildings and they are blind to all else until they find Their perfect little spot.

Guys, don't forget that all the internal clutter of the building is abstracted. There are beds, closets, tables, curtains, debris, refrigerators, hidden-bookcase doorways :) , chandeliers, internal rooms, etc., all over the inside of these antiseptic looking buildings.

I don't think the REAL issue is the enemy appearing and having a spotting advantage over the ingressing troops. If the ingressing troops did NOT rush straight across to the furthest corner and keep their back to the interior, most of these instances of squad death would be minimized.

If the ingressing troops entered and focused on the interior of the building, simulating a search and clear type of action, BEFORE moving to firing locations near windows, would that be an improvement?

Regards,

Ken

Quick to building should be like normal drill when entering buildings in hotspots:

1. Position team. (say, requirement = half of the full team at their designated spots.) TIME = 0 seconds to infinity.

2. Frag or two in, wait for the blast. TIME = 5 Seconds (fuze) to 7 seconds.

2. few guys enter, others cover & overwatch. TIME = 2 to 4 Seconds

3. Frag or two further back, all others enter and search for hostiles. TIME = same as point 2.

4. IF hostiles are spotted, the team will FRAG until enemy is dead or frags run out.

So, the rest of squad can move in at 12 seconds MINIMUM. Considering the time lapse of CMSF, this would be 6 seconds game time.

So building assault in a nutshell, frags&flashbangs and a lot of them. Always. Sole purpose of the team entering the building is to first secure the perimeter and only after that to start looking other objectives.

Only exceptions i could think of is, that if the team comes under fire when standing outside of the building, they would FAST inside the building and then start to figure out the mess they're in. IMO this is the way it is working currently and in all situations now.

Tuomio,

Nice.

I'd change the standard operating procedure you've just outlined NOT to take effect during QUICK. Sometimes I want to QUICK into a building I _know_ does not have enemy; I don't want to expend ordnance in that case. (I don't use FAST - ever.)

I'd love to use your SOP under ASSAULT into a building. Now I ASSAULT and combine it with a LIGHT TARGET area firing into the building. That technique is very sub-optimal.

Your script seems like the "right" way to enter buildings which you suspect harbor the enemy.

Regards,

Ken

Tuomio,

Nice.

I'd change the standard operating procedure you've just outlined NOT to take effect during QUICK. Sometimes I want to QUICK into a building I _know_ does not have enemy; I don't want to expend ordnance in that case. (I don't use FAST - ever.)

I'd love to use your SOP under ASSAULT into a building. Now I ASSAULT and combine it with a LIGHT TARGET area firing into the building. That technique is very sub-optimal.

Your script seems like the "right" way to enter buildings which you suspect harbor the enemy.

Regards,

Ken

Very interesting ideas all have here and they make sense, there does seem to be a big tendency for troops to want to get into a corner first and defend themselves later.

I agree though not for the quick command, which is strange as I dont often issue any other commands to my infantry, Assault is too damned slow and hunt is next to useless as its even slower and the guuys all walk as if they are terminally constipated.

Bloody good idea though.....