Angriest moment in CM:SF?

Apocal

Man I love this game...

Angriest moment at myself was when I had all of my troop transports, AFVs and reserve force tucked away in back of some buildings. I was busy shelling armor and calling in Apaches and watching and patting myself on the back when I realized after my "Fire Missions Overs" were declared that there was still artillery coming in.

Quickly pausing I looked around for the smoke or explosions and realized to my horror that my rear guard was getting pounded. I tried to get them out of the kill one but they were all shell shocked and refused to budge.

I remarked to my son that this was my worst tactical blunder I have ever done in a military game.

Those poor bast*rds never even got into the fight.

My angriest moment was in a Marines campaign mission when two AAVs spawned in almost right on top of a T-62. That was fun.

There are a few missions where your reinforcements spawn in direct line of sight to enemy assets. Not fun at all.

The best advice to give here is to save frequently in RT, then when these gamebusting events occur you can at least go back and try to work out something different.

There are a few missions where your reinforcements spawn in direct line of sight to enemy assets. Not fun at all.

The best advice to give here is to save frequently in RT, then when these gamebusting events occur you can at least go back and try to work out something different.

The best advice to give here is to save frequently in RT

For sure RT brings you on the edge of having a nervous breakdown, since it is not that easy to micro managed battle as soon as you have more than few assets. However, it is really adrenaline pumping and makes you feel great, when things turn your way.

Playing the save does not provide the same turmoils, but it helps to try it again another way.

• 2 weeks later...

I' not sure if this is a bug or just the simulation of a rare Javelin failure. I have a Javelin team on the roof of a second story building with an area target order for a building 300-400 meters down range. I have a squad with a quick move order at ground level maybe 30 meters in front of the building. the javelin mis-fires and lands directly in the middle of the squad. EVERYONE in the squad was wounded or or killed. Menu, Quit, how many turns since I saved?

It was George Mc scenario and they **%^*%% hard enough without luck that bad. :P

Javelin misfire

It happened to me quite a few times regarding the number of battles fought and javelin's fired. Once it fired and struck trees in front of the team let say about 50 m, while firing at a tank 200 m away. Next the team was unable to see it from their new location on a rooftop. The sniper next to them had it in sight all the times. That §§B of tank made it undamaged till the end of the fight.

However Javelin's are top scorer compare to TOW.

LOL

OK i had one with a javelin as well. It was during the first city battle on the original campaign. Can't remember the name but thats not really important. There was a T-55 set up at the far end of the road and it was hampering my movement to the hotel objective. so I sent out my antitank team and placed them in a crater that was created by a VBIED. I had to mve my team around a bit beforre they were able to see the tank and in the process moved them right infront of a burning pickup. They spotted the tank and aimed, then fired the missile......right into the pickup!!! and managed to kill themselves!!! Im not an expert on the javelin but I would think they would ensure that no obstacles were in the way prior to firing...apparently I'm wrong!

steve-o

I'm back to report a very happy moment in CM. In the TF THUNDER campaign, the mission when you are screening the extreme left flank of the task force, TOWs not only outscored Javs, they did so with fourteen kills above and beyond the Jav-tossers.

I think Javs got two kills, and TOWs hit 16 tanks and PCs. TOWs functioned much better, probably helped by the fact that a dedicated gunner/loader is working each.

APOCAL

You are referring to the SCREEN. I got 10 Tanks and 8 Armored Vl with TOWs and Javelins. Playing RT, I evaluate from memories and screen shots (playing it more than six times) that the 2 Strykers ATGM got about 25% -50% at the most of the kills. The Javelins did the rest. Without them, I was usually unable to stop the coming stream of armor.

However, the M1134 Stryker ATGM fare better than the LAV -AT and the Humvees equipped with a TOW launcher in the MARINES Module.

None the less, the Javelins are still the best killers since they afford a small target for the enemy to shoot at. Tracks and Humvees can't. They are in danger when creeping on a crest.

As a matter of fact, you should take in consideration that in the SCREEN, you don't have obstacles impairing the TOW guided lines. The distances let you set your Stryker in ambush at a relatively safe distance from the Tanks and remaining BMP-1.

Besides, TOWs should be use slightly offset from the front of a tank. Around 30 degrees on moving tracks and at 90 degrees for a flank shot on not moving target -since you lose your sighting more quickly that at 30 degrees, if it moves at high speed -

You don't have that problem with Javelins. They acquired the target, go up and right down on it, wether it evades at high speed or remain still. The only problem is at short distances, with a straight level flight. It touch obstacle and blow up or hit the ground at a short distances.

Have you try the battle in the Marines Module in a canyon with 4 LAV-AT at your command. Got them, playing RT, destroyed almost every time without a shot being fired ?

I remain on my firm belief that the Javelin is better. Not considering the fact of the use of TOW in air asset.

I've maintained my belief that the Javelin is the better overall weapon, I was just pleasantly surprised at the TOW's performance in this case. I was expecting the ATGM section to either require babying or become a throwaway force should I run out of Javelins. As it turned out, it was neither, I was nowhere near running out of Javs, because TOWs were taking all comers and asking for more.

hmm, seems I'm a rare breed for I enjoy playing CM:SF in real time rather than turn based. I still do pause a ton just so I can reasses the situation.

In any case I guess the angriest moment I had in CM:SF was just now when I had a sniper team so greatly placed and what I believed hidden, only to be blasted away by a lucky shot from an RPG about 400m away. And it was such a nice lookout point!

Angriest moment? Just now, playing TF Narwick, mission 3 ("Cancelled Flights" - the airport). I just kind of figured high walls would hide my Bradleys from enemies in second stories a long way away....boom, boom, boom, turns out they don't, and when I looked closely I found that the top of the turret DOES project over the height of the wall. Bummer that the MG gunner's head in the Humvee right next to one of the destroyed Bradleys is almost exactly as high as the Brad's turret, but can't see over the wall at all...never rely entirely on WYSIWYG; I guess :D.

I play real time as well, and I'm never going back to turn-based in SP mode....RT gives me much finer control of my units' behaviour...like with pathfinding issues, pausing for a few seconds only, and such things. I do have to control myself more in the sense of "cheating", though...RT gives me BORG spotting without actual BORG spotting. I try not to make use of it too much, but sometimes the temptation is just too great ;)