Small tactical group

Slon

I often like to send a small 5-6 man group to peck away at the enemy. Unfortunately, the enemy usually finds a way to mount an artillery strike on the infantry I leave behind.

How can I hide the infantry I leave behind? Lying down in grass on the opposite end of the map doesn't seem to hide them. The enemy keeps finding their locations and shooting artillery at them.

That, indeed, keeps baffling me. I second the question. In some scenarios I have been pretty mesmerised to see my soldiers, lying prone and concealed, getting struck by arty.

Could someone confirm whether in some mission there is a script giving the AI shelling some kind of "omnivision" ?

If you give your infantry the hold fire order they will be pretty much invisible to the enemy. I had a squad prone, gave them a hold fire order, an enemy squad walked right over them. No Kidding. I use it to toggle ambushes.

That's against enemy infantry. I'm talking about enemy aircraft and artillery. They seem to detect infantry even when prone, hold fire, hold position.

Once more thing. How do I get reinforcements to stop reappearing? I would be sneaking up on an enemy with 3 groups, and all of a sudden, 5 tanks and 4 infantry groups appear standing up and naturally get demolished by enemy AT guns. As the leader of the assault, can't I choose not to have those guys appear whenever is scripted?

Arzok, I experienced what Slon complains about in a mission somewhere in the middle of the German campaign. Most of my infantry was lying away from the enemy. I had paid attention not to stay on the spawning zone where they were at the start of the mission because this usually get shelled. But they were still hit by mortars. The strange thing is that I played the mission again, sending them in some other direction, but still remaining out of sight. To no avail, the same mortar salvos were fired, obviously triggered by one of my tanks crossing some invisible line towards the enemy, and smack in the middle of my infanteers. To the extent I started thinking about some kind of observer being concealed somewhere but any combing I could do did not evidence anything.

So, as far as I am concerned the question remains : is there the possibility to script in the mission building that arty will be fired at the actual position of the target, even if no AI unit has a line of sight to it ?

As to your latest request, Slon, I think you need to identify the trigger for the reinforcement and then either modify or delete it - if it is time- or casualty-related for instance - or outplay it - if it is area-related, i.e. once you get to a define area you get the reinforcement.

Arzok, I experienced what Slon complains about in a mission somewhere in the middle of the German campaign. Most of my infantry was lying away from the enemy. I had paid attention not to stay on the spawning zone where they were at the start of the mission because this usually get shelled. But they were still hit by mortars. The strange thing is that I played the mission again, sending them in some other direction, but still remaining out of sight. To no avail, the same mortar salvos were fired, obviously triggered by one of my tanks crossing some invisible line towards the enemy, and smack in the middle of my infanteers. To the extent I started thinking about some kind of observer being concealed somewhere but any combing I could do did not evidence anything.

So, as far as I am concerned the question remains : is there the possibility to script in the mission building that arty will be fired at the actual position of the target, even if no AI unit has a line of sight to it ?

As to your latest request, Slon, I think you need to identify the trigger for the reinforcement and then either modify or delete it - if it is time- or casualty-related for instance - or outplay it - if it is area-related, i.e. once you get to a define area you get the reinforcement.

Yeah, I think the game is definitely too pre-scripted. That includes required units (Staff squad), magically-appearing reinforcements, and cheating AI. There needs to be more freedom. I hope they release a patch for this, or at least make ToW2 better in this regard. Right now, it really takes away from the gameplay.

Yeah, I think the game is definitely too pre-scripted. That includes required units (Staff squad), magically-appearing reinforcements, and cheating AI. There needs to be more freedom. I hope they release a patch for this, or at least make ToW2 better in this regard. Right now, it really takes away from the gameplay.

I have checked on severals missions, but I have not seens such triggers.

Effectively, it is easy to make a trigger that do this type of things.

But I think (if it is the case) that it concerns only few missions.

It is not a problem of patch, it is a problem of triggers.

You can make your own mission with the freedom you want. You just have to try... and let us to try your mission