I've never seen a SW game developer do this.

thewood

No, that happened with POA2 (Point of Attack), a HPS game. A modern version of Tigers on the prowl/Panther in the shadows.

The initial release didn't go so well and people who wanted it, including me, got a refund. By now (years later) it's supposed to be good but there are like 2 people left and they might be more hardcore than average.

Actually, I am one of the two who still play it regularly. I preordered it and have played since day one, except for times when it was screwed up. I never remembered a refund being offered. But, there was a lot more to it than that.

They originally released the game with an editable OOB, but locked it in one of the patches. That left a bitter taste in my mouth about HPS.

The one thing about that game in particular is that most of the changes and fixes were driven by the Air Force. That said, it is very good today.