3D card....which one is best for me.

Bog

My problem is that I can't always run 2500+ point battles, especially tank-heavy ones, effectively, LOTS of stuttering and the like. I'm thinking of buying a 3D card.

I'm running a Sony VAIO with a Celeron processer, 600 Mhz, Win 98, and an Intel 810 Chipset Graphics Driver.

What 3D card would you recommend for me. Preferably one that costs $40 or lower. Oh yeah, fog graphics would be nice. My current card doesn't have 'em.

I don't think you have an AGP slot, or do you? If not, you're left with PCI, and probably the best PCI card for possibly 40$ would be the Voodoo3 3000 if you can find it. If you do have an AGP slot, that opens up a whole lot more choices. As to what you can get for 40$ I have no idea but probably best to check out nvidia cards.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Yeah, most of the Intel 810 chipset-based motherboards don't have AGP slots.

Depending on how much you want to spend you can go for a Voodoo 5500 PCI, a TNT2-based Guillemot Cougar PCI or a Voodoo 2000/3000 PCI. The problem with the Voodoos is that 3dfx has gone out of business. The boards are currently sold by NVidia, but apparently there won't be any more driver updates. There's only a few problems under CMBO with the Voodoos, they're a bit annoying, but they don't prevent you from playing. However these problems may become more serious with CM2.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

There's only a few problems under CMBO with the Voodoos, they're a bit annoying, but they don't prevent you from playing. However these problems may become more serious with CM2.

Good point about CM2. Main problem with Voodoos and CM1 is swamping the video memory, but he specifically said he wanted to keep the point allocation around 2500, so perhaps not too much to worry about.