Production tech doesn't apply to reinforcements?

• 2 weeks later...

I had put this issue on the back burner, but, unless I am misunderstanding what Production Tech does, it does appear to be a bug, or bugged feature.

Playing SoS 1.01 PDE, Expert +/-0, by 1944 I have reached level 4 in Production Tech. Going back to the first turn of the scenario in 1939, a fighter, w/ no tech upgrades at all, which costs 10 MPEs to repair in 1939, costs 13 MPE/point in 1944 when it has 3 levels of Adv. Air and 1 level of Long-Range. An HQ (which have no upgrades) cost 16 points in 1939 to repair, and 16 points in 1944. Perhaps this is a feature which snuck in somewhere between the final patch for WaW and the genesis of PDE. Either way it does seem to not work as advertised. I wondered why the hey I was unable to upgrade my damaged units frugally. Saved game sent.

I know you guys are about to push a patch out the door, so sorry for the bad timing.

Thanks John, I just took a look and I now remembered that this is by design, i.e. reinforcement costs are relative to the original base costs of units regardless of PT or other applicable deductions/increases.

The reason for this is it would be difficult to keep track which units were purchased with PT, which units were purchased with the soft build penalty and so on... so we just opted to have PT apply only to new purchases and leave everything else the same as trying to keep track of these values caused a lot of issues with the game engine in terms of keeping all the values straight.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

You shouldn't have to worry about that that much, should you? After all if the production tech gets a hit or two, all the guns, bullets, tanks, and such now cost less than they did, right, no matter how much they unit originally cost? This issue then hits the Axis much harder than the Allies as it ends up costing them too much to repair their units (which in a way may be historical), something I ran into when I played Storm of Steel awhile back.