Freezing during set up for TCP/IP play

I've been able to host CMBB Interent games until recently. Now, after I select TCP/IP and the turn time limit, the password screen comes up. I enter a password and nothing happens. The cursor still moves, but CMBB won't advance to the IP address screen.

Not sure if this info helps, but I ran winipcfg.exe and under "PPP Adapter" the IP address was listed as 000.000.00.00. Under what I think was my ethernet card, a conventional IP address was listed.

Also, I've been getting a "CMOS checksum error" recently. I plan to replace the CMOS battery ASAP, but I was wondering if this could be somehow related to my problem.

I am running on a HP 8555c with:

Celeron processor

500MHz

256 RAM

Windows 98 SE

Cable modem

My firewall is Zone Alarm and I haven't made any changes to it since the last time I was able to get a succesful Internet connection.

Any ideas?

Have you "upgraded" anything lately like video drivers, etc. ? What video card do you have ? The reason I ask this is because the driver may not be 'updating' the 2D screen properly.

The "PPP Adapter" address is probably correct (this is usually an IP address for a modem, etc.). Your network adapter's address is your IP (assuming that you aren't behind a firewall/NAT setup).

You haven't made any changes to ZoneAlarm since you last hooked up in CMBB, including upgrading it ? Is it still set to use TCP Port 7023 (or bi-directional passthrough, etc.) ?

The CMOS Checksum Error (battery) issue shouldn't have anything to do with this particular problem (at least logically it shouldn't). Replacing the CMOS battery is a good idea though (your clock will be up-to-date and other CMOS settings will be saved instead of using the CMOS defaults).

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Have you "upgraded" anything lately like video drivers, etc. ? What video card do you have ? The reason I ask this is because the driver may not be 'updating' the 2D screen properly.

No recent upgrades. Many months ago, I increased the RAM from 64 to 256 (you may recall offering advice on that - it helped improve my graphics in CMBB). The 8555c doesn't have a video card, it just uses 11mb of shared memory.

The "PPP Adapter" address is probably correct (this is usually an IP address for a modem, etc.). Your network adapter's address is your IP (assuming that you aren't behind a firewall/NAT setup).

You haven't made any changes to ZoneAlarm since you last hooked up in CMBB, including upgrading it ? Is it still set to use TCP Port 7023 (or bi-directional passthrough, etc.) ?

I don't think I made any changes to ZoneAlarm, although I think there was an upgrade to it, but that was several weeks or even months ago. I'll check.

The CMOS Checksum Error (battery) issue shouldn't have anything to do with this particular problem (at least logically it shouldn't). Replacing the CMOS battery is a good idea though (your clock will be up-to-date and other CMOS settings will be saved instead of using the CMOS defaults).

Thanks for the help.