Compassrose Red or White

Taki

In the game the red side of the needle points in the direction you are facing. For example, if the red needle is aligned with 0 degrees on the compass then you are facing North, aligned with 90 degrees you are facing East, aligned with 180 degrees you are facing South and aligned with 270 degrees you are facing West. A compass is divided into 360 degrees, so North equals both 0 and 360 degrees, if you follow the compass around the dial clockwise.

The red needle of a compass points to Magnetic North, which is attracted by the earth's magnetic field. Most maps are based on True North, so you must take into account magnetic variation, which is the angle between True North and Magnetic North. We will keep it simple and not get into all that because it is not required in the game.

The compass is used in the game to figure out which direction you are facing, and to determine the direction of friendly and enemy forces, and objectives which may be mentioned in the briefing. Just as if you were out hiking in unfamiliar terrain, it is important to know where you are.

• fire a smoke tester.
  • or read the breifing (the designer may tell you there)
  • or watch which way the cloud shadows move across the ground
  • or watch which way the smoke from burning vehicles drifts
  • or watch which way dust plumes drift

Personally, I find the on-screen compass close to useless, unless I'm using view 6 or 7.

OK, obviously I can tell which way the wind is blowing when something is already burning.

What I was wondering was if there is a way to tell, say, during the setup phase. I don't think there is. It would be nice to put a second needle on the compass in addition to an arrowhead on the original needle.

1. 13071494yo9.jpg

2. 55016280fs8.jpg

3. 10456797mx5.jpg