Great Boardgaming Deals

Wilhammer

For the board wargamer, two buyer's chances are available with deep discounts.

First, GMT games has one heck of a nice sale for the holidays, and will even GIVE you TWO games if you recently lost your job.

GMT Games - Google it.

Second, a venerable old company is closing its doors - OSG. Wow, the last of the companies of my youth.

Everything is 50% off.

www dot napoleongames dot com

Excellent Bill, thanks - I had received their newsletter but just quickly glanced and didn't care for the "featured games" in their sale. I just went their site and realized that it's 20% off of ALL their games - and more if you go over $200.00. Very nice!

I am going to send my list to friends and family and let them work it out...should be the best Christmas ever for this old gamer....

Really, this has been THE year of wargaming for me. Got a great wife, a wonderful location, a War Room, have found several local FTFer, reconnected with the guy in High School who got me into this hobby.

That's excellent! I got in more boardgaming this year than in years past but I'd like to do more. I have 2 young future wargamer's in training now however and so this year saw us play some 'lite' wargames and other non-wargaming games ("1960" for example). I want to get Twilight Struggle as I think they'd enjoy that and I know I would since I enjoy '60. Just a couple of more years and they'll be ready for ASL. ;)

Wilhammer,

Thanks for this info, even though I haven't played a cardboard wargame in ages. Will pass to some I know who still do. Very cool what GMT's doing to help the out of work!

Never played any of the OSG games, because in my board game heyday, I was too interested in WW II, Modern, Age of Fighting Sail and ACW ironclads, not to mention tightly budgeted, to care about Napoleonic land warfare. Have made headway lately, though, devouring two online accounts of the Rifle Brigade. Hope someone saves off all the juicy Napoleonic discussions in the OSG forum. If not, there's the Wayback Machine--if you logged the URL! Have you by any chance read any of the Special Studies OSG did? If so, what did you think of it or them?

Regards,

John Kettler

I ordered 2 OSG games - Four Lost Battles and Seven Days of 1809.

Mr. Zucker's Napoleon's Last Battles for SPI is one of THE master templates of wargaming.

Now I find myself considering buying more of the OSG stuff.

Kettler, the Studies fascinate me as a potential purchase...I hear they are the pinnacle of their genre.

Any one spare, oh, about 500 dollars? :)

I'm mainly into area impulse games (Breakout : Normandy, Monty's Gamble) and I've already pre-ordered Breakthrough: Cambrai... but I always have an eye out for new games... thanks for the tip, John~

If anyone here is up for a game of BKN or MGMG (preferably on Vassal), please send me a private message and we'll get a game going...

I'm currently about 70% done with a "game-assist tool" (GAT) for MMP's "Rage Against the Marines", their newest area impulse game (and my first). It's a small game and I really enjoy it. The GAT basically hides the Japanese units and conducts their movement and attacks so that you can use VASSAL to play against a "virtual" opponent. I'll post more about it when I'm looking for playtesters if anybody is interested.