NVS machinegun?

Scipio

Scipio,

No, that would be the NSVT, in keeping with the general naming practice for vehicle mounted MGs: KPV becomes KPVT; PK becomes PKT, etc. "T" designates "tank," the ostensible primary vehicle application. I freely admit, though, to being unaware of any Russian tank sporting a KPVT, though there are lots of ACs and APCs (BRDM-2, BTR-60/70/80) so equipped.

Steve,

Why would the poorer quality Syrian units have the NSV, rather than the venerable Dushka? The NSV dates back to the 1980s in terms of Soviet introduction, the Dushka decades earlier. Am I somehow missing a whole generation of Russian HMGs?

Regards,

John Kettler

Steve, are you sure about that? Just as a side note, when I created my weapon icons mod, I found neither a green/yellow file nor a silhouette file; but I believe there's a texture file...

John, thanks for the info regarding the naming conventions!

John Kettler

I freely admit, though, to being unaware of any Russian tank sporting a KPVT, though there are lots of ACs and APCs (BRDM-2, BTR-60/70/80) so equipped.

There was T-10M, the last Soviet mass production heavy tank. It featured both coaxial and turret-mounted KPVT MGs.

The NSV dates back to the 1980s in terms of Soviet introduction, the Dushka decades earlier. Am I somehow missing a whole generation of Russian HMGs?

You are right, but there is newer HMG model, 12,7 mm KORD ("Конструкция оружейников-дегтяревцев" meaning "The design of Degtyarev plant gunsmiths"). Its development was forced due to NSV production center was in Kahzastan after dissolution of USSR. KORD entered mass production in 2001 and issued now to infantry and modern Russian tanks (i.e. T-90).

TempV,

Thought I had you for a moment on the KPVT issue, but when the dual Dushka equipped T-10 became the T-10M, the impressive KPVT was indeed there. Wiki concurs.

Learned something new!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-10

Here's a great photo study of the T-10M by a guy with an amazing gallery online

http://svsm.org/gallery/t-10

Had seen some stuff at Warfare.ru and YouTube on the KORD, but thought maybe it was a new commercial competitor to the NSV/NSVT but was still in development. Didn't realize it was in mass production for the Russian Army and very much appreciate the clarification.

Regards,

John Kettler

No, that would be the NSVT, in keeping with the general naming practice for vehicle mounted MGs: KPV becomes KPVT; PK becomes PKT, etc. "T" designates "tank," the ostensible primary vehicle application. I freely admit, though, to being unaware of any Russian tank sporting a KPVT, though there are lots of ACs and APCs (BRDM-2, BTR-60/70/80) so equipped.

Hmmmm... Are you sure about NSV becoming NSVT? I understand that 'T' comming if it's specially vehicle modificated weapon. I'm not sure if NSV has that kind model...

There is wicked video of KORD in "action", as huge looking soldier (ukrainian?) walks thru smoke while firing it from hip... While wearing blue beret :cool: Now there we have terminator.

Small wonder. KORD have comparatively little recoil for its caliber and can be fired from the bipod. And of course from the hip like LMGs though I guess this requires heavy-built man. :). BTW, I've read about one Soviet tank buster whose height was 2 m and his chest was not a bit smaller. :) He fired his PTRS anti-tank rifle (14,5x114 mm) from the shoulder! :)

Small wonder. KORD have comparatively little recoil for its caliber and can be fired from the bipod. And of course from the hip like LMGs though I guess this requires heavy-built man. :). BTW, I've read about one Soviet tank buster whose height was 2 m and his chest was not a bit smaller. :) He fired his PTRS anti-tank rifle (14,5x114 mm) from the shoulder! :)

Well MG bounched in his hands quite a deal after each shot. Rate of fire was pretty small as he needed his time to swing barrel back to his general front direction, so recoil indeed was there :D It clearly was done for humor not to be taken seriously.

Secondbrooks,

Wiki says we're both right. You'll see why when you read it. But back when I was a Soviet Threat Analyst, the intel docs said the NSV was the ground mount and the NSVT was on tanks as the AA mount.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSVT

Modern Firearms, though, agrees with what the threat docs said, i.e., there is no tank mounted NSV, only the NSVT with the listed mods in the link here.

http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg02-e.htm

Regards,

John Kettler

Oh. Damn, well ofcourse it needs some modifications (additional parts) if it should be able to be fired from inside a tank :mad:

NSVT (Tank) is basically similar to the NSV except for the special mounting. NSVT machine guns are used mostly as roof-mounted AA / self-defense weapons on Soviet and Russian main battle tanks. The special tank mount has a buffered cradle, electrical (solenoid-operated) trigger, traverse and elevation mechanisms and a special collimating sight.

EDIT: NSV is NSV when it's on AA-mount. NSVT is specially Tank inserted MG, with ability to fire from inside tank. This is what i gather.