Simple suggestion/request

Having played with the Marines Module enough to truly irritate my wife, I keep coming back to a single idea. If the AAVs were equipped with a fire control computer that allowed for indirect fire the effectiveness of a marine unit supported by them would increase by at least one hundred percent. They already carry a ton of ammo, but are very vunlerable to almost everything. Being able to park them behind a building or a hill and shower the bad guys with 40mm love would solve an enormous list of tactical problems with a very small outlay of development time and money. Their is surely an FCS out there that could be adapted for this purpose with minimal reprogramming. There has to be a little spare space in that bus some where.

BFC, how hard would it be to give the AAVs this ability in game, just for kicks and experimentation?

Any opinion Huntarr? Feel free to tell me why it won't work.

I'd love to see something like that roll through the DOD contractors. NLOS is the first thing I can think of off hand with a FCS that might be convertible.

Why it won't work is the Navy won't pay for it. :rolleyes:

We've got most of our eggs in this basket. EFV link, which I think is a much better investment. The systems on this little beauty are better all around than the AAV7's.

• MK46 Weapon System.
  • MK44 30/40mm High Velocity Cannon and 7.62mm Coax.
  • Fully Stabilized, Digital Fire Control, Thermal Sight.
  • Accurate firing on-the-move at stationary or moving targets.
  • Provides all-weather/all-night lethality with 30mm MK-44 automatic gun as well as a 7.62 COAX machine gun); Laser Range Finder and FLIR.
  • 90% Probability Hit at 1200 Meters.

2949645571_8540839637_m.jpghttp://www.flickr.com/photos/huntarr/2949645571/sizes/o/

I think my little idea could precede the EFV by quite some length of time, unless there are some miracles on both the engineering and cost/procurement side. The gun and fire control system are unquestionably excellent on the EFV, but they seem to have over reached on the high level of vehicle performance both in and out of the water. A sports car that also makes a good speed boat is a fairly tall order.

The Sec-Def just gave a little speech about letting the best be the enemy of the good with a war on if memory serves.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and for your considerable contribution to the game and the board.

Having played with the Marines Module enough to truly irritate my wife, I keep coming back to a single idea. If the AAVs were equipped with a fire control computer that allowed for indirect fire the effectiveness of a marine unit supported by them would increase by at least one hundred percent. They already carry a ton of ammo, but are very vunlerable to almost everything. Being able to park them behind a building or a hill and shower the bad guys with 40mm love would solve an enormous list of tactical problems with a very small outlay of development time and money. Their is surely an FCS out there that could be adapted for this purpose with minimal reprogramming. There has to be a little spare space in that bus some where.

BFC, how hard would it be to give the AAVs this ability in game, just for kicks and experimentation?

Sounds to me like you're talking about the invention of a new technique to CMSF, but hadn't we the discussion of inderect fire by on-map units already since CMBO? It wouldn't be unrealistic, depending on the weapon system, of course.