How to find hull-down position?

istari

Yes, I used the Search function and found a thread from 12/2007 where folks were complaining this was much harder in CMx2 than CMx1.

Here it is 10/08 and we have the superb new 1.10 patch. Are there any new tricks available for finding hull-down position?

I'm about to start TF Thunder and I see the berms into Syria. Would love to sneak an Abrams up there to scan the environment with my advanced 2nd gen TIS before committing the rest of the force, but I don't want to expose the belly to any waiting ATGMs.

Advice? Or is this something that is awaiting future CMx2 releases?

Thanks!

Chris

For the TF Thunder first mission, place two of the M1s on the berm at the two locations in the setup zone. Now select one of them and pick the target order. Aim the target line at some point in the distance towards the Syrian positions. You should see some writing next to the line saying "spotter is hull down" or "spotter is partially hull down". If you play around with the position of the M1 on the berm, you should eventually get a position in which practically every target line you can draw across the berm says that the spotter is hull down. That's your hull down position.

Once the game is going, you will be able to move the other two M1s to positions on the berm further to the left of where they start. If you click a movement waypoint on top of the berm, then click the waypoint, you can then select the targeting tool again. This time, however, the targeting tool works as if it was spotting from the waypoint rather than the M1 itself. This allows you to set a waypoint on the berm and determine if it is hull down before the M1 reaches it. Of course, the pause key will come in handy whilst you are doing all these LOS checks.

Aha, very cool! I hadn't realized you could do sighting from a future waypoint. That will help tremendously in finding hull-down positions during the engagement, not just during setup. Thanks much.

Now we just need BFC to add movable waypoints ala CMx1, so that when I determine my first attempt at placing a waypoint isn't quite right, I can adjust right there. :>

Chris

Aha, very cool! I hadn't realized you could do sighting from a future waypoint. That will help tremendously in finding hull-down positions during the engagement, not just during setup. Thanks much.

Chris

It helps to also be aware that although you are finding LoS from the waypoint you clicked, the actual sight-line on the screen is drawn from the current unit position. Which is a minor annoyance, but is a display quirk only (BFC fix or do sumthink!). But is the reason many people don't know about this - it looks like LoS is only ever found from the current position, but is actually from the active waypoint.

Yes, I used the Search function and found a thread from 12/2007 where folks were complaining this was much harder in CMx2 than CMx1.

Here it is 10/08 and we have the superb new 1.10 patch. Are there any new tricks available for finding hull-down position?

Chris

When the enhanced LOS system was introduced, hull down became much easier and more realistic. Before that LOS was traced at one height for all vehicles so strange results occurred where the tank was hull down but LOS was not given. Basically after 1.06? when ELOS was put in all those weird situations were fixed.

But graphically hull down is WYSIWYG.