Issue using AWSD keys to navigate

Is there a reason that when using the AWSD keys to move around the map it speeds up/slows down (as if the camera gains momentum the longer you hold it down)? Any way to turn this "feature" off?

It's very irritating and makes it a constant battle to just be able to quickly get to the spot I want at the angle I want.

At first I thought it might be a framerate issue but I turned graphics way down and it still happens.

I notice that this does NOT happen when using the mouse to move around... but I'd love to be able to use the keyboard so I can use the mouse to just issue orders

• 10 months later...

You should make this change with Notepad open and test holding some keys down and typing stuff.

I want to point out there are advantages to having accelerated control which allows you to have fine positioning control for small corrections if you only use the keys for a few moments and when held longer, lets you zoom across the map with increasing speed for rapid movement. If this didn't happen, you would always move at the same speed, most likely not the speed you want.

The difference between the mouse and keyboard is of course rate sensing. The mouse has the advantage that the system can sense how rapidly you have moved the mouse (distance vs time.) Keyboards do not have rate or pressure sensors built into them. They are for the most part on off switches. The only way the system can "sense" your anxiety is by how long you old down the key. This acceleration technique is built into most computer interfaces so I'm surprised you are not used to it by now. Hopefully adjusting your keyboard timing will provide a compromise you can live with.

-Pv-

You should make this change with Notepad open and test holding some keys down and typing stuff.

I want to point out there are advantages to having accelerated control which allows you to have fine positioning control for small corrections if you only use the keys for a few moments and when held longer, lets you zoom across the map with increasing speed for rapid movement. If this didn't happen, you would always move at the same speed, most likely not the speed you want.

The difference between the mouse and keyboard is of course rate sensing. The mouse has the advantage that the system can sense how rapidly you have moved the mouse (distance vs time.) Keyboards do not have rate or pressure sensors built into them. They are for the most part on off switches. The only way the system can "sense" your anxiety is by how long you old down the key. This acceleration technique is built into most computer interfaces so I'm surprised you are not used to it by now. Hopefully adjusting your keyboard timing will provide a compromise you can live with.

-Pv-

So is there a way to set it at a static speed? I'm so used to other strategy games where you move around at the same speed with the arrow keys/numpad/wsad which is great because it lets me use my mouse exclusively for issuing orders and not getting around the map.