Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Attack and Defend values what do they mean?

I am trying to modify values and I am getting confused at to what works vs what.

is attack vs X specific type (your chance to cause damage)? is Defense vs X specific type (your chance to reduce damage)?

Air is it vs fighters only?

Bomber is it vs tac and strat?

soft is it vs infantry types

tank is it vs armor types?

Like if you are a fighter attacking a bomber on the ground what are you using air attack or air defense? and what is the bomber using vs you? air attack and air defense?

Attack values represent what type of damage the unit will inflict towards others of that type. For example, Corps will inflict a TA=1 on a Tank , or a BA=4 on a Bomber.

Defense values represent how the unit will fare against attacks of another type, i.e. a Corps with an AD=1 will apply this value in the formulas against an Air attack.

For reference, this is covered more in the User Manual.

I also found this confusing but oddly enough I am not sure that what I found matches what Hubert is saying :)

I think what happens is this, and maybe he can confirm, and by the way it is not really explained well in the manual from my reading:

If I have am a bomber attacking a fighter, damage is based on:

Fighter = takes damage based on Bomber air attack

Bomber = takes damage based on the Fighter Bomber defense.

I tested this a bit. For example, when the ground units are bombarded by say a BB:

Soft Attack (1) damage and they get Naval Defense (0) damage so are not ever affected

when I made that 1, the results were now that they can be hurt (in this case, I also gave them an evade so it does not happen too often but sometimes only).

That seems to be the key - it is one calculation:

Attacker = uses attack value of the defender type

Defender = uses defense value of the attacker type

these are simultaneous and modified by all the other various factors.

Once I had this clear it clicked. One caveat is interception, because then the interceptor is now an "attacking" unit and not a defender.

What about defending vs said unit?

So if I make my bomber 1 air attack and 10 air defend

and I make my fighter 10 bomber attack and 10 bomber defend

Both will still slaughter each other?

fighter uses bomber attack (10)

bomber uses air defend (10) NOT air attack.

So what stops damage? I thought air defense stops damage no?

Or is attacker and defender words really amounts to who is dealing the damage depending on whos turn it is. If its the axis turn all its units use the "attack" # for all its attack. The allies use all their "defend" #s because its NOT their turn.

Only damage evasion prevents damage?

Wait now Im totally confused

"Fighter = takes damage based on Bomber air attack"

"Bomber = takes damage based on the Fighter Bomber defense."

What does this mean? "bomber air attack" is it air attack or bomber attack?

"fighter bomber defense" is it air defense or bomber defense?

Does that mean a bomber inflicts damage with its "air attack" value?

Does the 2nd line mean a fighter inflicts damage to a bomber with the fighter's " bomber defense? This doesnt make sense.

thats why it is so confusing to explain:

"defense" is not really anything that affects how much damage you take - what it does is do damage to the other guy - so yes your example means they will slaughter each other, that is why values for attack and defense are pretty low!

Example (I don't remember what they use i am making this up)

Fighter = Bomber Attack Value 2, Bomber Defense Value 1

Bomber = Air Attack Value 2, Air Defense Value 0

Scenario 1: Fighter Attacks Bomber

damage done to bomber = 2 (modified by variables) the fighter takes 0 (air defense 0)

Scenario 2: Bomber attacks fighter (presumably, bombing the air base!) - note it can still be intercepted.

Bomber does 2 damage to fighter, Fighter does 1 damage to Bomber

Make sense?